WTB - Small Knee Mill - North Texas

DHerman304

Registered
Registered
Thought I would throw my hat in the ring for a knee mill. I've tried the usual places, craigslist, facebook, etc. but nothing is jumping out at me.

I'm looking for a small knee mill (or similar) preferably under 1,000#s. I would like to stay under $3,000 not including tooling. Any suggestions would be great, I plan to make pistol and rifle compensators, maybe attempt to make a suppressor. Also small custom motorcycle parts. I plan to cut Stainless/Aluminum and maybe some plastics. I'm in Fort Worth but don't mind going for a drive to pick up something (I have a truck).

Let me know! Thanks!

I went for a MT3 spindle, 1HP mill drill with auto feed, which of course is not a knee mill, and so may be challenged when it comes to the precious space between the table (with vise on it) and the spindle (with cutter in it). The bill for this one, as a new import from Poland, converted to $$, was $2166.

Then I had to invest in all the "extras" to get to the point of making the first cut..
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/help-getting-the-first-milling-essentials.89005/
Yeah - I know - a bit of a rabbit-hole!
Cormak 230V MT3 Mill-Drill.jpg
This was for a new machine, but you should be within budget if you can get a good condition pre-loved. You may find it pays to play the waiting game, while keeping eyes on as much as possible. The "feel" for what is a good deal just ramps up.

Harbor Freight knee mill is less then 3k new. Typically about 2k to your door. Same machine as the small grizzly knee mill but with no bells and whistles. After searching for months for a decent used machine that's the direction I went.

Its not a small mill, but I have a Wells Index 847 that I have decided not to use. I haven't powered it up but assuming it runs as advertised, $2500 delivered to Dallas.

Back