WTB: Shars BXA Tool Holders (Older Style)

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Shars changed their tool holders. I'm looking to buy the older BXA holders that use the larger M10 set screws, they're shorter in length & have nickel plated adjusters. They're stamped 250-201 & 250-202.

The newer ones have smaller & longer set screws (M8), they're longer in length, & have black adjusters. P/N is printed/etched. Same style as most of the holders currently on the market.

I'm mainly looking for the turning/facing holders without the groove (250-201) but I'll take a couple of the boring holders with the v-groove also (250-202). Preferably in great condition (I'll pay full price if you have new ones). If you have any extras or ones that you don't want anymore, please let me know what you have along with a pic if possible.

Thanks!

The older style that I'm looking for:
shars1.JPG

The newer style that I don't want (XL pictured):
shars2.JPG

shars2.JPG shars1.JPG

Darkzero,

I just sent five of the new holders back to Shars this week. I ordered them with the same product number as the old ones I have, had no idea they had changed them. I put a 5/8 in tool in one and the set screws when tightened were about 1/2 inch proud of the block. Safety issue, not to mention the screws are about half the size of the originals.

Shars sent me a return shipping order and I sent them back for credit. Now I need to figure out what to replace them with. Maybe Phase II ??

If you find any extras of the old style please let me know.

Thanks,
Sandia

Thanks for posting Sandia. Yeah I had no idea they changed them too. The new ones are the same style that came with my lathe. On the ones that came with my lathe I changed the set screws for shorter ones but I still don't like how they use smaller set screws & the holder itself is way too long. The older ones are a bit shorter than genuine Aloris or Dorian but I still like them better than the new style.

They did not bother to update their photos either. When I saw the brown boxes I immediately had a feeling they were not the same as the ones I'm used to. I sent the 2 that I ordered back today.

The older ones are pretty much the same as the PhaseII holders but with crappier set screws (I replace them anyway). I can't see myself paying double the price for the PhaseII ones which are made in China also. I've been meaning to upgrade to Aloris holders as they are my favorite but I can't afford that yet.

The CDCO holders are the next closest thing (if they haven't changed them) but I refuse to ever order from them again. Plus I had issues with the 4 I purchased from them years ago.

I originally used to get them fro. Wttool which had no company logo on them. Later they started selling them with the Shars logo so I just started ordering from Shars cause they were cheaper. Wttool no longer shows them I & their new stock will probably be the new ones from Shars anyway. Yup if I find them, I'll let you know, please do the same for me.

Thanks

Will

Thanks but they do not.

Thanks for posting Sandia. Yeah I had no idea they changed them too. The new ones are the same style that came with my lathe. On the ones that came with my lathe I changed the set screws for shorter ones but I still don't like how they use smaller set screws & the holder itself is way too long. The older ones are a bit shorter than genuine Aloris or Dorian but I still like them better than the new style.

They did not bother to update their photos either. When I saw the brown boxes I immediately had a feeling they were not the same as the ones I'm used to. I sent the 2 that I ordered back today.

The older ones are pretty much the same as the PhaseII holders but with crappier set screws (I replace them anyway). I can't see myself paying double the price for the PhaseII ones which are made in China also. I've been meaning to upgrade to Aloris holders as they are my favorite but I can't afford that yet.

The CDCO holders are the next closest thing (if they haven't changed them) but I refuse to ever order from them again. Plus I had issues with the 4 I purchased from them years ago.

I originally used to get them fro. Wttool which had no company logo on them. Later they started selling them with the Shars logo so I just started ordering from Shars cause they were cheaper. Wttool no longer shows them I & their new stock will probably be the new ones from Shars anyway. Yup if I find them, I'll let you know, please do the same for me.

Thanks

Will

I bought a few Aloris holdes when I bought my qctp years ago, but havent' purchased any since. They are really good but awfully hight too.

Sandia

Shars changed their tool holders. I'm looking to buy the older BXA holders that use the larger M10 set screws, they're shorter in length & have nickel plated adjusters. They're stamped 250-201 & 250-202.

The newer ones have smaller & longer set screws (M8), they're longer in length, & have black adjusters. P/N is printed/etched. Same style as most of the holders currently on the market.

I'm mainly looking for the turning/facing holders without the groove (250-201) but I'll take a couple of the boring holders with the v-groove also (250-202). Preferably in great condition (I'll pay full price if you have new ones). If you have any extras or ones that you don't want anymore, please let me know what you have along with a pic if possible.

Thanks!

The older style that I'm looking for:
View attachment 93799

The newer style that I don't want (XL pictured):
View attachment 93798

Update to the tool holder dilema. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I returned my holders for credit. After a few days, Shars emailed me with pics of the older style and wanted to know if they were the ones I wanted. I told them yes and so they were going to send me five of the old style. Haven't received them yet, hopefully they will be the correct ones.

Sandia

Thanks Sandia. Man, they must really hate me and/or like you. When I first got my holders I asked it they had any of the older ones & if I could exchange, never received a reply so I had to initiate the return through ebay. My return was delivered to them on Feb 3rd & I still have not received a refund. I asked them for a status update last week & they asked if I could provide the tracking so I did.

They're pissing me off already. Been waiting for the refund so I could order something else from them. Well I don't think I will order from them anymore. I never had issues with them before. I opened a case with ebay this morning.

Well I went against my word to never do so & ordered 6 holders from CDCO. They're the same size as the older Shars. But they have the same quality issues as the ones I got from them years ago. For the price they charge I can't complain though.

Thanks Sandia. Man, they must really hate me and/or like you. When I first got my holders I asked it they had any of the older ones & if I could exchange, never received a reply so I had to initiate the return through ebay. My return was delivered to them on Feb 3rd & I still have not received a refund. I asked them for a status update last week & they asked if I could provide the tracking so I did.

They're pissing me off already. Been waiting for the refund so I could order something else from them. Well I don't think I will order from them anymore. I never had issues with them before. I opened a case with ebay this morning.

Well I went against my word to never do so & ordered 6 holders from CDCO. They're the same size as the older Shars. But they have the same quality issues as the ones I got from them years ago. For the price they charge I can't complain though.

Actually, I had a bit of a problem as well. After I sent the wrong holders back I didn't hear from anyone for about 2 weeks. I called to see if they had issued credit and was told the did not have a record of receiving them. I gave the tracing number and they called me back in about 20 minutes and told me they found them in the warehouse?? They emailed me a picture to verify it was the ones I wanted and I verified it was, so they said they would get them right on out.

Haven't received them yet, guess it has been about a week?? Hopefully sometime this week.

Sandia

It's funny how a company can appear to have good customer service but when it comes to getting something refunded or exchanged they can be the total opposite. I know that with some companies it may be a different department at fault but still.

Back