Wtb Hawthorne Tool Holder

Olddaddy

Registered
Registered
image.jpg I dropped off some drills and cutters to be sharpened and got to talking with the shop owner. He has a nice old South Bend lathe and showed me his Hawthorne Tool Company boring bar holder. Nice piece of steel! I think I want one!! Anybody have one or know if they are still available anywhere?

Have to say, I've never in my 59 years of life, ever seen one. Have seen the typical Williams or Armstrong ones, but never seen one of these. Looking at how it is built, it may pre-date the Williams/Armstrong design. I'm no antique tool expert, my guess says it dates around very early 1900's.
Have you Googled Hawthorne Tool Company and see what comes up? Any patent dates stamped on the tool?

I believe you are right, it must be an antique. I did not find anything online about Hawthorne either and there is nothing I could see on the tool except what is in the picture. The design says "very old" to me. One more thing to add to the want, but not need list.

I have one of these tool holders, but it is a straight version (not set at an angle). It's in rough shape, having been abused by the previous owner(s). At least now I know what it is really meant to hold! Thanks.

Back