WTB: Boyar-Schultz Rapi-Change holders

ADK_MechETech

Registered
Registered
Just got a new-to-me Prolight milling machine that unexpectedly came with this quick change arrangement instead of the Royal system. I have a couple endmill holders but I much prefer ER collets.

I'm interested in whatever you may have. ER, DA, Tap, Jacobs arbor, etc. I nearly had a heart attack when I got the pricing from the only source I could find. It's on par with what Royal costs.... I'm hoping to keep the quick change, but if I can't source some holders at a reasonable price I may just have to change over to the TTS style system.

I can post an actual picture when i get home, but below is the manufacturers website. They are still available, but I'm just not willing to pay the price they are asking when there are other alternatives (inlcuding just using R8 collets and setting every tool manually).

Just a suggestion....

I built my own quick change set up, The base holder I made is based upon the R8 collet form,, but I also made a base that is held by a 3/4" collet. Each holder pilots in the holder and is held in place with an 8 pitch Acme threaded captive nut, one turn to lock. Because I wanted multiple small tools I used an ER11 collet set up, bought collets and nuts. I've got about 15 tool holders, made everything from 4140 steel. No pix, I'm limited in my computer technology, excel at machining, Can't seem to do both.
My mill is a PM 25, a larger mill could easily use larger ER collets.

I'm not sure I follow your setup, but I had considered just getting a bunch of ER20 3/4" shank holders. The mill is a small one so much more than a 1/2" shank tool isn't practical. I also wanted to minimize projection as I only have 9.5" of open height.

The problem I see with that setup is repeatability of Z length. It's a CNC so the idea is to be able to set all my tools and just run some parts. I don't think anything other than a quick change setup like the one that is already there, or the TTS style will do that reliably.

I am considering just biting the bullet and ordering from Rotagrip in the UK. Those prices are much easier to swallow.....

Back