Wrong drive belt...

jaded13640

Active User
Registered
Hi guys, I finally got my new mill moved over to it's home and set on the stand. I noticed that the belt from the motor to the idler pully was not aligned. By that I mean it's on the lower pulley on the motor and the higher pully on the idler.

Then I realized what must have happened. They replaced the motor with a bigger one and then the belt was too short. So they dropped it down a spot on the motor so it would reach.

How do you go about measuring that type of v belt?

If it was a car I would just measure the outer distance around the pulleys, go to the parts store and get the size I think I need, one larger and one smaller and then just return the two I didn't use.

That won't work here.

What would you guys do in my situation?

Thanks,

Wayne

A great source of high quality belts http://www.vbeltsupply.com/

You can measure to the top edge of the groove for both pulleys and get a belt with the OD that is very close, or measure to the bottom of the groove of both pulleys and get a belt whose ID is just a bit larger. Belts at the website I gave you list belts measured both ways. For measure the top of the groove I use a cloth tailors tape, for the bottom of the groove a good piece of twine that doesn't stretch.

Or, find a scrap belt that is way too long but the right series (A, B, or C) and cut the belt, feed it through and then cut it an inch too long. Whittle the length until you have a good fit but with enough play to slip over the pulleys. That is why I always save used long belts...

.......If it was a car I would just measure the outer distance around the pulleys, go to the parts store and get the size I think I need, one larger and one smaller and then just return the two I didn't use.

That won't work here.....Wayne

Why won't that work here?

What kind of drive belt is it? Is it v-belt? if so, what section size is it? A or B or 3V or 5V?

Is it a timing belt?

A poly vee belt?

Lots to choose from

Back