Writing G Code - Newbie

CAD software will help a great deal. I was used to programming from blue prints, before software was available.

Since you have the CNC and Mach3 you will most likely (eventually) end up with a cad program and a cam program. If you don't have full featured programs there will always be one more feature you will want or need.
Since Fusion 360 is free for hobbyists (and said to stay that way) and fairly full featured enough, it only makes sense to go directly there. At least explore the modeling and cam portions of the program.
I have TurboCad Pro and VisualMill for my CNC mill (several thousand dollars worth - and upgrades are expensive), but have been using Fusion 360 almost exclusively for the last year or so. It (so far) has worked flawlessly with my Syil X4+ mill and controller running Mach3. The only trouble I've had is occasional crashes with my old (and borderline capable) Windows 7 computer.
The learning curve isn't any steeper than learning a cad program and a cam program. There are lots and lots of online resources for learning and help. Autodesk and Lars Christensen being 2 of the best I've seen.

I have the exact machine Syil X4 plus bought in 2010, with Mach 3
I've been very surprised and happy with if.
No problems in 7 years.
I use Surfcam, I kept the software when I retired in 2006

I'm a newbie that recently added CNC capability to an old LC30A mill using Mach3. I have next to no experience other than typing in some simple G0, G1 etc. commands and cutting a few arcs using the Wizard feature. I'm not a machinist, just a guy that likes to tinker.

I now want to attempt machining a fairly simple irregular shaped piece. To start, I just want to cut the perimeter that would be a sequence of straight cuts and 6 arcs. I imagine the mill going around the perimeter several times cutting a bit deeper on each pass until the bit finally cuts through the bottom edge. I suppose I can run the arc wizard 6 times and copy the 6 code segments it generates to a new file and then insert the straight line cuts (G01) in the appropriate locations in the new file, so that the entire perimeter is defined.

Is there a better approach, perhaps with some form of (low cost or free) cad software, or is the method I described above a reasonable approach?

Thanks to all that reply.

View attachment 247398
Mr. Poke,
In the mean time , if you need any G-code, I would be glad to help
It's only a hobby

You probably found that you can create and update a variable. I have not found a reliable way to output the variable value in Mach3. for the routines that I have hand coded the one I use the most is a generic facing program. I have a section at the top of the code where I enter in values for total depth to cut, Increment value, length of cut and the diameter of my facing tool. then I just start with the tool zeroed to the top of the part and just off the part to left and press go. It has a pause at each iteration so I can press the stop key if I want to step out before the full depth is achived.

Back