wow! that does make life easier, does't it

upTheHill

Active User
Registered
i just got a bimetal blade for my HF 4*6 bandsaw, much faster cutting now.

but the BIG improvement came with the 3 axis DRO from CDCO that I put on my HF mini mill.
HUGH difference in milling parts, no more SWAGs (scientific wild ass guess) :think1:just watch the readout for a perfect cut.

i can defintely see a CNC setup :eek:uch:

DRO... Right up there with Fire, Wheel, Antibiotics and Flush Toilets!

CNC, I'm guessing is a bit different though. I'm guessing a lot more time in front of the computer and doing slow-speed trial runs of the program. I've always assumed it's most useful for production work or, one-off pieces with cuts that require simultaneous motion in 2 or more planes. It's kinda of a different game -one that I wish I could get into someday.

Ray

My understanding is that most professional shops don't do simulations on CNC. I think it's a matter of how much you trust yourself, your machines, and your software to do the right thing.

I tend to do simulations because most of the time I only trust one out of the three, and that one is constantly changing ;)

CNC, I'm guessing is a bit different though.
Ray

what has me thinking CNC, is the 1st thing I made after putting the DRO on was a jig for my wife, she makes these wire wrap jewelry pieces and was using this plastic thing, she was always complaining of breaking pins on.

so I whipped on out an aluminum flat i had with steel roll pins from Brownells, 1st thing she asked after grabbing it out of my hand was how many more can you make, I can sell a bunch of these things at craft fairs.

it's got about 100 - 3/32" holes evenly placed, and I'd be falling asleep doing it by hand, but would be a perfect CNC thing.
plus her brain has been working overtime thinking of other crafting / jewelry things I can make for her. :think1:

THere's that window of opportunity. I'll be disappointed if you don't "go for it".

what has me thinking CNC, is the 1st thing I made after putting the DRO on was a jig for my wife, she makes these wire wrap jewelry pieces and was using this plastic thing, she was always complaining of breaking pins on.

so I whipped on out an aluminum flat i had with steel roll pins from Brownells, 1st thing she asked after grabbing it out of my hand was how many more can you make, I can sell a bunch of these things at craft fairs.

it's got about 100 - 3/32" holes evenly placed, and I'd be falling asleep doing it by hand, but would be a perfect CNC thing.
plus her brain has been working overtime thinking of other crafting / jewelry things I can make for her. :think1:

Yeah, that would be a pretty good use of CNC. Drilling 100 holes in a plate is not my idea of "fun".

Yeah, that would be a pretty good use of CNC. Drilling 100 holes in a plate is not my idea of "fun".

I have found it much easier and faster to count the number of holes I need, lay them out and attach the plate to them. Less work:lmao:

I have found it much easier and faster to count the number of holes I need, lay them out and attach the plate to them. Less work:lmao:

Where can you get holes wholesale??:LOL: (yes the pun was intinded)

Sounds like the first project I completed on my pm45, a hold down plate out of 1/2 inch aluminum with 48 tapped 1/4 inch holes. I needed a hold down plate for a folding knife pattern I had been working on. The dro was a life saver, but it was a long 3 hour job.

Back