[How-To] Would this be a good idea??

finsruskw

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Picked up this D675 last month and planning on a re-hab.
So far, have been unable to find someone within reasonable driving distance with a surface grinder that can refinish the ways.
The one fellow I did contact said his machine did not have enough Y travel to do the job.

So, was wondering would this be a candidate for a fly cutter?
That I can probably do
I got the small parts kit and several other parts from Kurt already and hope to get this project wrapped up this spring as the weather is decent to get it prepped for paint.

Attachments

• DSCN9940 (2).JPG
    DSCN9940 (2).JPG
    554.9 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCN9941.JPG
    DSCN9941.JPG
    389.4 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCN9942.JPG
    DSCN9942.JPG
    466.5 KB · Views: 52
IMHO, I'd just stone the ways a bit, reassemble and test it out before resurfacing. There may be enough bearing surface left, to work just fine. Otherwise, I'd hold out for a surface grinder or consider hand scraping. I don't think a fly cutter is the way to go, maybe a face mill, then scrape.

IMHO, I'd just stone the ways a bit, reassemble and test it out before resurfacing. There may be enough bearing surface left, to work just fine. Otherwise, I'd hold out for a surface grinder or consider hand scraping. I don't think a fly cutter is the way to go, maybe a face mill, then scrape.
Agreed.

I did a D60 with a 6x18 surface grinder at one point, which should be about the same size? The only problem I had was the "Z" axis when grinding the 'bottom' (which I did first, my D60 was ROUGH), which I had to do in 2 parts.

The bottom looks pretty good yet.
It's usable as in, just looks like hell where the movable jaw has spent most of it's life
I was wondering why this fellow couldn't do one side then do and end for end and do the way on the other side
But I did not ask that because by that time I had already gotten the impression from visiting with him that he was not really crazy about doing this in the first place.
I suppose one could fly cut the top of the fixed and movable jaws though just enough to make them look better.
I did leave a few large end mills that he is going to sharpen for me.
He had done a few for me once before.

IMO, its a little rough, i probably would want to do SOMETHING. That corrosion is pretty deep. If I was near you, I'd offer to grind it, but alas, I'm not. Perhaps there is someone here near you who would do it for a 12 pack?

So, was wondering would this be a candidate for a fly cutter?

Some kind of machining, yes. Fly cutter maybe.

After machining, you will want to scrape the rails flat:: surface, plate, prussian blue, scraper.

For now, just cleanup.

I would just stone it to take off any high spots and clean up anything that makes it not fit well.

Our Kurt has some ugly spots in the nut under where past user went too far, but it was 20 bucks.

If you remove too much material then adjustments need to be made.

Tongue in cheek time...

All of the little pockets hold oil film, some folks spend a lot of time and money to learn how to do that properly, yours is already done.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I did manage to clean up the fixed jaw and the moveable jaw with the fly cutter.
Took about .002 off then polished them.
The portion directly under where the moveable jaw sits most of the time is really rough although the bit on the edges where it actually rides is not that bad.
Perhaps I should just clean the rough area up good with a wire brush and forget about the resurfacing.
Thanks for the replies folks!

Attachments

• DSCN0003.JPG
    DSCN0003.JPG
    423 KB · Views: 12
Back