Would someone kindly take a look at this lathe for me?

I was also a noob many years removed from my high school shop classes and just recently went through this process of trying to decide if to buy a new 8x/9x lathe or find a decent used machine. I looked long and hard at the very same Grizzly lathes that you are considering for many of the very same reasons as you. All the while, which spread over a period of a couple months, I also kept checking the local Craig's Lists and Kijiji searches for lathes that might come available for a great deal. I'm glad that I did that. I was able to get my hands on a mid 70's Standard Modern 11x20 Utilathe in immaculate condition. It is a solid 1300 lb lathe with V way, separate feed screw with power cross feed, and QC gearbox. Also has a QCTP and came with a selection of tools with it. So far I do not wish I had variable speed and one of the 1st projects I undertook had me threading several different threads. I like that it has a through spindle of 1.375 and I spin D1-3 fitted chucks etc. The best part is I picked it up for $800 Cnd......... ($600 us).

Having said all this, I also may have been just as happy if I had gone with one of the new Grizzly's instead. Hard to say. I just know that I don't regret at all the fact that I bought a good used machine. I have had a great re-learning process with it and have made what my family has rated as "some really cool stuff."

Good luck in your search and decisions Christine.

Welcome to HM.
Your dilemma is familiar to me. I bought a new lathe a few years ago but had found it daunting to choose where to start. My needs were based on what I wanted to learn. I went with the largest lathe (12x36) that I could install alone and that would fit the space available. I also chose to get as much basic equipment and accessories included as possible (except for cooling system and lighting) for the lowest price. The guarantee on a new lathe was reassuring. There was no particular use or work required of the lathe from the outset but I wanted a QC gear box, power feeds and thread cutting capability. My attitude was to write off the money as an investment in learning but it took a bit more $ than expected. Every step was a fun learning experience (installing, using, discovering shortcomings and correcting-upgrading the lathe, etc.) It took a while for me to start discovering everything I could make instead of buy. I was not in a hurry and enjoyed every minute of it. The folks here at HM were and are a great help.
Looking forward to reading about how you proceed.

Hello Everyone,
Lots of really good information and insight. As I'm looking around it only seems to generate more questions, but here's a couple of things that are a little clearer. I still really like the idea of buying an older US made machine, but I'm open to anything at this point, and I especially Paxx's comment to heart, that finding a good fit is really important. One project I want to make at some point is a pizza sheeter. (Pizza making is a long term hobby of mine). If you don't know what that is, it's the machine you feed the dough through to produce a very thin crust pizza. Kinda looks like a wringer from an old wringer washing machine. The two rollers should be 20 inches across ideally plus an axle on each side that is around 2 in.each for the bearings, sprockets etc. So I think I'll need a little bigger machine to do this. Other than this all I have on my plate at the moment is to make an awesome T-Square fence for my saw. Really I just need a decent machine to learn the basics, and if I find I need more, I'll buy something else. I also feel I'd like a machine with lots of hands on, so if I have to change gears by hand I see that as part of learning a new skill. Same thing with variable speed.
So that being said, I found a couple of lathes and I'd love to hear what you think about them. here they are...

Thanks for hanging in there, and I really appreciate and enjoy your insight, comments, and support!

All the best,
Christine

http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM1030.html
image1-532x323.jpg

And, I thought this looks interesting, although it's a little more than I wanted to spend...

https://rockford.craigslist.org/tls/6081738050.html10K.jpg

That South Bend lathe is not worth nearly the money they are asking for it. Plus, it has moderate to heavy bed wear in my opinion. It's well tooled and thats just about it. That one only has about 21" of center distance, not really enough for what you need. If you going to spend that kind of money and need to be able to handle around 30" between centers, look at one of the 14 x 40" lathes out there.

Christine........concerning the 2 lathes you posted I agree with Ken about the SB. It looks in pretty rough shape to me.......well........ at least for the money being asked for it. If looking for a used machine I would keep looking. Precision Mathews has made a great name for themselves with the machines, both lathes and Mills, that they put out and the service that they provide to their family of customers. I've been kinda eyeing one of their Milling machines. I am sure the PM1030 would meet your needs for a long time to come.

As for used, there are really good machines that come along for decent money, but it takes checking the ad sites everyday and responding to them quickly. I watched for months and when my Standard Modern came along I had to jump on it or lose getting it. Here's what mine looks like for $600 US.
IMG_3960.jpgIMG_3961.jpgIMG_3965.jpg

PS...........I forgot to mention that the thing that the SB has over the PM lathe is......mass. I love my heavy machine. Things are flat and level and there is absolutely no flex in it at all. While 395 lbs may sound heavy for a machine in a shop, in my slimmest of experience with different machines, I have seen machines of even up to that weight develop resonance vibration and lose squareness from having a shop cool down or heat up too much. So far my heavier machine is still true.

Welcome Christine, you and I are not far apart! Im just south of Hartford. I don't think you could go wrong with the 1022 from Quality Machine tools, all the extras are with this machine so your outlay for a quick change tool post and such need to be factored in. If budget is more critical and it were me Id give up the variable speed, and power cross feed for the quick change feed gear box on this model in the same price range.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/11-...72Z?utm_campaign=zPage&utm_source=grizzly.com

In either case having a good idea of what you want to do with your new lathe is a good place to start, using that to help decide which features you want/need really helps clarify your choices. If you want to see some of the lathe features first hand you are welcome to stop by my shop and I can show you what does what are and how they might effect your decision.

In general, used machines go for high prices in our area. I looked at both lathes and milling machines for quite some time, I was trained as a machine tool rebuilder so spotting condition is something I am pretty good at, and I finally bought new as I felt it was a better value, especially when you consider if you want a project before you start to work on the things for which you are buying your tools

Last edited:
Hi Christine,

The question of whether to buy a new machine vs. old American iron is a sort of never ending topic around here with advocates in both camps. The old machines were generally very well made, but most of them are getting pretty gray around the muzzle: my Logan is 73 years old. SO they tend to become projects in their own right. Unless you are very lucky and find a relatively unworn machine, tooled up and ready to go in your price range, you'll spend time and $$$
getting the machine up to speed. Some folks enjoy that. Will you? and do you have the mechanical skill to work you way through an older machine? Depending on the brand, getting parts can be problematic for old machines as well. If your goal is to just get to work and start learning to make parts a new machine is a better choice in my opinion.

PM machines have a good reputation and are a step up from a Grizzley. The folks that sell them have a good reputation for customer service as well. You might consider posting on the PM sub forum to learn more about them.

Christine 1953,
Just saw your post on looking for a lathe.
I've got a 1947 Powermatic (Logan) 10" which I will be selling as I still have 4 lathes and need the space.
She has a completely rebuilt headstock with OEM bearnings, not the cheap stuff.
The bed is perfect.
She has a QCGB, collet system, 3 jaw, 4 jaw, chip pan, heavy shop made stand with drawer system, live and dead centers, spindle and tailstock chucks, metric change gears, the original lantern tool post and Armstrong holders, in preparation for resale, I've just added a vintage Armstrong piston QCTP, I still need to make or buy tool holders, I'm also finally fitting the taper attachment.

I'm just NW of Mpls. I really want to find her a good home. If this is your first lathe I'd be excited to help you explore her features and potential. Delivery might be negotiable if you don't have a way to haul her.

Daryl
MN

I have a SB 9A (also have a 7x10) and it is very over rated by the masses IMHO...... My SB 9A came from the original owner, had scene very little to no actual use and it still needed lots of TLC just to make is usable. The addition of a VFD, and QCTP greatly helped in making the lathe usable rather than a boat anchor. I think either the Grizzly or the PM posted above would be just as capable or better than the SB less the hassle of finding a used machine worth dragging home.

Robert

Back