Would Like To Learn

Pictures or links to the referred to reamer holders would be nice. I've not seen the one with a handle unless I'm just not picturing your words right. Floating allows the reamer to move & stay in a straight line with the bore even if your setup is slightly off or the bore isn't concentric with the OD.

I've not cut one yet myself. I'm just repeating my understanding from the same research.

No need to be sorry. I lack knowing proper terminology also. If assume those are custom shop tools. Looks like it should work tho as long as you just keep the reamer from turning & your careful not to put any pressure on it side to side.

Reamer holders can be shop made, but they are fairly high precision tools so a lot of folks buy them.
My understanding is that a reamer holder is standard for precision chambering on the lathe by professionals.
People also use an arrangement similar to taping in the lathe where the back of the reamer is held on center with the tail stock and turned by hand. I think that is the old school method gun smiths used until fairly recently, and many matches have been won with hand reamed chambers. I doubt a holder does a better job than a skilled operator with a hand reamer, but it is probably 10x faster.
PP&G makes most of this stuff
http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/127-reamer-holders-parts

Edit: Now that I look closer at the pic, that is indeed the set up I was referring to for hand reaming, though I suppose there is no reason not to do it under power.

Depends on the reamer or at least what I read. You will ruin a hand reamer using it under power.

Back