Worth Buying A Homemade Mill?

PAturner

Registered
Registered
Hi,
I've been perusing craigslist and have found a homemade milling machine. I'm posting a picture to see what people think. The price tag seems enticing.
I can't afford or move a large mill, (can't really afford a small mill either).
Do you think this machine would be capable of things like gear cutting with some careful set-up work? I've asked the seller about x and y travel and how big of a piece I could machine with it, and will post once I find out.
IMG_4522.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:+1:
I think we all have been in your shoes at one time or another - we want something but can't afford it right now. Better to save until we can afford the thing we need and then buy. In my opinion, this thing would be a mistake.

That looks to me like it could be a very nice precision drill press if it is well made but I don't think it is nearly rigid enough for milling.

Agreed you won't be buying a mill but at that price it appears you do get your money's worth. Judging from only a quick look at the pic you posted from my phone.

Added ridgety could be added. All depends on what you have access to

I doubt that "mill" could do a reliable job cutting gears, those skinny columns can't possibly provide enough rigidity to get a chatter free cut.

At this point if you are looking at the financial impact, you are likely better off to use the funds to provide material for you to build a milling attachment for your lathe. They can be very functional until such time as you can afford the financial resources and space for a milling machine.

I would make an offer and snatch it up since you don't have a mill now and not much money now--what I see would be a good buy for just $150.---I'm sure you can always sell it after you get a good mill---it looks like it has some tooling with it also---a hobby machinist learns to work with what he has and can afford and still can get the job done----Dave

Is this more of a "want" item? Or, do you have a project that you actually need a mill for? If so what is the job? Maybe then we could offer a more informed opinion as to whether it would be suitable. Also what sort of tooling does it come with? If it is proper Mill tooling then $150 wouldnt go far at the local tool shop. But its more of a drill press with an xy table than a vertical mill. But having said all that, for what you are getting, its not a bad price. Its a little hard to tell from fuzzy zoomed pictures but the bottom table looks to be the cross slide from a fair sized lathe. I know I could certainly repurpose a lot of that machine.

Cheers Phil

That "mill" has a double x-y stage the heavy one on the bottom looks like it was salvaged from some machine, the light duty one on top looks like cheap Chinese junk, The question is why 2?

Back