worn out gib

WDG

Registered
Registered
I have a Craftsman 101.28990 that has had some rough treatment, both before I got it and after I got it. There is a gib on the cross slide and one on top under the tool holder. I know one is nylon and I think the other is too. Any ideas as to how to make these things? Is nylon, nylon or are there a lot of different kinds? Obviously I don't know what I'm doing in trying to make one of these or where to begin. Would it be possible to make them out of brass, or not a good idea. I don't know where to begin.

Are you positive it is nylon? That would not be my first choice of polymers for this application. Biggest knock against nylon is it absorbs water and changes dimensions. So you can forget critical fits being stable with nylon.
If I was staying with a polymer gib, I would make it from a chunk of Teflon impregnated Delrin. Often called Delrin AF. It is a chocolatey brown color.
Machines like a dream, low friction, what's not to like?

Brass works nicely for gibs, wears a bit faster than steel but gives a nice smooth action
Mark

I ended up going to the Clausing site and I order from them. Kind of expensive $12. and $8 but I got what I think is the exact thing. I need to take the saddle and everything apart and do a through cleaning. I plan on using way oil #2 to put everything back together. Anyone think different? As for the being positive it was nylon. The answer was no. Once the new ones come in tomorrow , I may be able to tell better what they are. They are not brass. And they could have been replaced before.

Anyone have any experience with the pressure washer attachment that syphons sand. I see them advertised on FB and that along sends up signals or red flags. I would like to have one if it works.

The wet sandblaster things work, but not super well.

If I were stripping the paint off a lathe I would probably use aircraft stripper to avoid damaging way surfaces. If you want wet blasting check with your local contractors, chances are they can do it for less than buying a setup and paying for media. Make sure to really mask off the ways though....

John

These are the two gibs that I got from Clausing. I'm not sure what the white one is made of. The metal one is in some kind of hard cover to keep it from rusting. Now the job of taking everything apart cleaning and putting them in.

Attachments

• IMG_2064.jpg
    IMG_2064.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2065.jpg
    IMG_2065.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 10
Back