Worn gear

mf294-4

Active User
Registered
I have a 20 hp mower gearbox that one of the gears is no longer available. Got a new shaft but the gear is worn in the bore and keyway. Can I put a layer of bronze in the gear and bore it out and make it work (last)? What about a Loctite product. Took the gear to a couple of local machine shops and they said they couldn't do anything with it because it was so hard. At this point I need to do something, even if it is wrong.

i'm sure you could braze the bore and machine it back out to size. then broach the keyway
locktite may work dependent on the severity of the wear, but id always be thinking of failure if there was a large gap
you could bore the center hole large, make a bushing , push it in, and then bore it out too, then broach the keyway

That is what I wanted to do but the machine shops said it was to hard of a material for them.

That is what I wanted to do but the machine shops said it was to hard of a material for them.

Is it made from powdered steel? Sprockets in the snowmobile chaincases were made from that. Nothing I know of will cut them other than an edm machine. No trouble at all for one of those.

Is it a regular spur gear?
What's the size, DP, tooth count, bore?
Any info you can provide may help other members direct you to options or replacements.

Can you post some pictures?

A video by Keith Rucker might help. Sure he is replacing gear teeth, but the brazing and machining kinda apply:

-brino

Back