World War 1...

Man! all those loose fitting cloths and all those open machines with no guards. Very frightening. :eek 2:

Probably the scariest pic from a health standpoint was the one of the asbestos workers.

The asbestos picture just gives you the willys. They all look very capable of their job at hand though. Thanks for sharing.
Martin

Thanks for sharing Mike, the picture quality is impressive, as is the work these brave women endured.

Probably the scariest pic from a health standpoint was the one of the asbestos workers.

Probably as we see it today. Asbestos was really less threatening than lots of the stuff that was handled without any protective wear. Its only been the last
few years (decades) that the poisonous nature of many substances (chemicals) that were considered safe and were handled whimsically have been shown to be
the cause of sickness and death long after the exposure. Things like the clock making factory gals who painted the clock faces and hands with substances that
wonderfully glowed in the dark. They sharpened the tip of the paint brush with their tongues. They died. Or even the scientists like Madam Curie who handled her discovery
willy nilly even giving gorgeous pieces of her precious Radium and Polonium as gifts to friends. She won two Nobel Prizes and died of radiation poisoning.
I can remember handling asbestos paper and hardboard as a kid. It was neat stuff, it could take a lot of heat and it didn't burn. We used to wash our greasy
hands in Benzene all the time. WHAT? that stuff was poisonous? My brother in law died from Mesothelioma due to his exposure to asbestos in the Navy.
Several of my coworkers died far too soon from radiation poisoning. Benzene can cause severe liver damage. Today we have laws to help protect workers from toxic
exposures of so many things (to many in my opinion).

Just the rantings of
CHuck the grumpy old guy

I agree, Chuck. We used to play with mercury, back in the day. And cut asbestos cement board shingles with a saw.
Not saying this was a good thing, just the way it was before we knew any better.

Thanks Mike for posting the story.
we owe everything we are to women. without them there would be none of us.
women's contributions often take a back seat- as far as recognition is concerned , but their contributions are crucial nonetheless.

Back