Working with Micarta

Mike got it right. Phenol-formaldehyde resin, binding any number of filler materials, linen, paper, cotton, and glass. Phenol is the part that smells like (old fashioned) Lysol or Lifebuoy soap.

I'd worry more about the glass dust than the resin -- yes, phenol and formaldehyde are toxic, but the glass can do a major number on your lungs. Positive ventilation is the best route.

And glass-filled Micarta will chew up HSS tools. Better to use carbide if you're working a lot of it.

Westinghouse are the original makers. Their's is about the best one can get.
We use lots of it for Knife Handle slabs. Most makers of Tacticals do.
My Son ( full-time Maker ) just loves the stuff for his EDC Knives.
Impervious to oils, heat, weather, does not shrink, warp or crack.
Except for some of the Linen varieties, does not discolour nor age.
What could be better !!!
aRM

The fumes have formaldehyde in them. They are carcinogenic. You don't want to breathe them. It's only lightly carcinogenic, so plenty of ventilation is usually sufficient. Using slower surface speeds helps a lot too. When I can cut it unattended (CNC), I cut at about 400-500 SFPM. If I have to be in the room I run it at bout 100-200. The slower tool speeds help a lot by keeping the heat down so less of the phenolic in it is vaporized.

Any dust is bad for your lungs. I always use a respirator. I used to not use one in the wood shop, cause it was all organic right? Well, now I'm allergic to wood dust. Who knows when the cancer will start from all the stuff I've inhaled all these years before I caught a clue. ;)

I am working on a project with parts composed of Micarta. Micarta is a phenolic resin impegnated fabric composite material with excellent electrical and mechanical properties. I am finding that it is very tough to saw, turn and mill. Inaddition when worked it exudes a strong chemical smell. Has anyone worked with this material and have any suggestions. Are the chemical odors dangerous?

Thanks

I am working on a project with parts composed of Micarta. Micarta is a phenolic resin impregnated fabric composite material with excellent electrical and mechanical properties. I am finding that it is very tough to saw, turn and mill. In addition when worked it exudes a strong chemical smell. Has anyone worked with this material and have any suggestions. Are the chemical odors dangerous?

Thanks

I want to thank all of you gentlemen for your great response to my Micarta question. Based on what you have told me I intend to turn and mill this material with carbide tools at slower speeds and with flood coolant.

Back