Work In Progress

projectnut

Registered
Registered
As some of you already know I purchased a Baileigh CS-350-EU cold saw a few weeks ago. It's been setting in the garage at the family cottage waiting for the weather to break. I finally got it disassembled enough to load it in the trailer a couple weeks ago and hauled it home. As you might expect a machine that has spent the last 11 years in a production environment needed some attention before it can be put back to work.

I scraped off about 10 years of crud (i.e., dried and semi dried coolant encrusted swarf) then began a complete disassembly in order to scrub the remaining crud. It's now laying in the garage in slightly less than a million pieces, with the intention of cleaning the last 4 pieces (motor, transmission, base cabinet, and electrical cabinet) in the coming week. All the other parts have gone through either the DIY car wash or have been washed at home.

So far, the only damaged parts I've found were the handles on the vise, the control handle rod, and the length setting rod. They were all damaged when a fork truck backed into the machine. Repairs have been complete on these parts, so the tasks remaining at hand are as mentioned complete the cleaning process on the remaining 4 parts, paint everything and reassemble.

This machine that runs on a built in VFD, so I expect there to be somewhat of a learning curve it comes time to get it running. The cleanup will continue, and painting will be done when the weather warms to steady temperatures in the 60's and 70's.

Here are a few pictures of what it looked like when purchased, the condition it's in today, and what it's supposed to look like when finished.

The first 3 are at the time of purchase. Pictures 4 through 7 are the current state, and the final picture is what it's supposed to look like when finished.

Attachments

• IMG_1277.JPG
    IMG_1277.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1278.JPG
    IMG_1278.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1280.JPG
    IMG_1280.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1318.JPG
    IMG_1318.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1319.JPG
    IMG_1319.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1320.JPG
    IMG_1320.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1322.JPG
    IMG_1322.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 25
  • CS-350EU.jpg
    CS-350EU.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
good job so far! looks like it will do a lot of nice cutting for your shop.
Dave

That's a type f project I'd love to take on, minimal damage, solid machine and extremely useful in a shop.

Back