Work holding and a threading question

When i was younger and more prone to doing and not thinking i had a supervisor ask me if i could possibly get any dumber after setting a d11 bulldozer on its side ... the only answer i could come up with was ... wait untill tomarow .

After collecting unemployment for a few weeks i learned that it pays to think before you act .
And think really hard before speaking to your boss. LOL

As a future project you may want to think about making another set of fingers for your steady rest. I needed to make a 3 inch OD spider fixture for turning a fuel rail but my steady had long fingers that only opened to 1 1/2 inches. I made some shorter fingers and they worked with the 3 inch stock just fine.

DSC_1058.JPG DSC_1068.JPG DSC_1077.JPG

One possible method- somewhat like figure 121 in the post above, would be to secure the work on your cross-slide, center it on your chuck by chucking your indicator, then put the center drill in the chuck. then feed the workpiece into the spinning drill. This is, more or less, like a boring mill set-up.

Put another way, look at figure 121 and replace your hand and the tailstock with your cross-slide.

Doug

Is this 2 separate projects?
Because I can see a problem for you holding a 3" dia spindle x 20" long and threading that internally

cheers Phil

Thanks for all the help fellows .. i have the stock center drilled and using all the fine help it is actualy pretty darn close .
Close enough i believe i can true up the stock in one pass .

12 bolts
Yes thankfully this is two seperate projects .
I would have probably declined to do the spindle if it needed an internal thread .

Back