Work done vs. cleanup question.

Highpower

Registered
Registered
Why is it... that a few minutes of machining time produces an hour's worth of cleanup time?

The act of drilling a few simple holes produces a mountain of chips and creates a huge mess. Does swarf reproduce as it's created or what?
Seriously, it seems like I spend more time cleaning up than getting actual "work" done.

Sigh...... :depressed:

Drilling_Mag_Well.jpg

Drilling_Mag_Well.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Holes in metal. I thought that was obvious? ;)

Just a "see if I can do it" experiment, and trying to learn from any mistakes made in the process.

I was just wondering how a small amount of solid metal turns into such a large pile of swarf so quickly. ALWAYS.
It's like that expanding foam insulation in a can. Freaky! :cyclops:

I hear you Jerry. That is another "some day..." project for me - a cyclone separator. Since I'm hogging out aluminum I am hosing the work down with WD-40 (squirt bottle) while cutting and I don't think my shop vac would appreciate that. I abuse it enough already as it is. :(

David, that is what I worry about. "Close..... but no cigar." ;)

Anybody remember the old cartoon where they show an automatic lathe in a factory turning down a huge piece of lumber to make a single toothpick? ::)

That's about what it feels like. Three more large piles of swarf into the bin to get to this point. At least sawdust would be DRY. :)

Finishing_Magwell.jpg

Finishing_Magwell.jpg

Finishing_Magwell.jpg

Bill, I think you mean "magazine", but that is an argument for another forum...

And having to put it back in there is what I am trying to avoid! I've already made that mistake once - and prefer not to do it again if I can help it.

Like I said, this is a learning experience for me.
;0

author=Bill Gruby link=topic=3824.msg28348#msg28348 date=1317735012
If you asked for a magazine you would probably get an old issue of Playboy. The term stuck.

"Bill Gruby" ::thumbzup::
Hmmm..... Gives new meaning to using a "stripper" clip to fill a magazine. Wait... what?

ANYWAY........ got to get back to it, and work on squaring up those corners.

p.s.

THANK YOU for your service Bill. Too little, too late I know -- but just the same SOME folks appreciate it. ;0

Not the place in the receiver where the mag. will go?

A simple answer is to take all the holes you have made tie them together with string and sell them as nets!!!!! ::)

BRIAN

Back