Woodstock Lathe Motor Question

Thanks Jim. I have a good source for the motor. What I am looking for is a way to convert the machine to the three phase motor and keep the forward and reverse lever in the stock position so the lathe still functions in the standard fashion.

Thanks Jim. I have a good source for the motor. What I am looking for is a way to convert the machine to the three phase motor and keep the forward and reverse lever in the stock position so the lathe still functions in the standard fashion.

Ahhh! Sorry, I missunderstood the question. I read the entire thread this time.:rolleyes:

Even though you have 3 phase in your shop, the easiest way would be to put a VFD on the motor then just wire the existing FOR/OFF/REV switch into the VFD control terminals. Eliminates a lot of wiring and as a bonus you get variable speed.

If you only had single phase available, the VFD would be the best option.

It is possible that you already have the needed hardware installed. The alternative would be 3 phase reversing contactor in place of the existing contactor. It is possible that the current contactors are already 3 pole contactors and could be used for 3 phase operation by adding a couple of jumper wires. Not knowing how your lathe is wired and what hardware is installed, it's pretty hard to give a coherent answer.

I would look at a more mainstream metric motor with specifications and a warranty;
http://www.electricmotorwholesale.com/LEESON-192202/
http://www.electricmotorwholesale.com/MARATHON-R319A.html
A 1.5Hp motor will be a D90S frame, 2Hp D90L frame, the links above give the dimensions so you can see what fits.

Since the stock controls are based on 110V transformer system with 36VAC and 24VAC controls, you are probably looking at rebuilding everything at significant cost. There is also the issue of how the lathe/mill controls are connected. The wiring diagram and manual are online. If going 3 phase, you probably would be better off with a VFD and using momentary direction/stop buttons. Makes for a simple 3 wire system, and it resets if the power goes out and when you turn on the machine. If you keep the stock lever, you need to map out the connections to the switch and would connect to the VFD direction controls, you would need a power relay or some safety interlock so the machine won't spontaneously restart when powered up.....
3 button momentary lathe controls.jpg
M1017 Schematic.jpg

All the VFD's I have seen will accept 3 phase in. Some will not accept 1 phase or will derate by 50%, not all. The VFD would also not restart on a power up if you programmed it to not do so. Many added features with VFD's. Fast electronic braking for one. You will have a lot of parts leftover.

Back