Nice job on the tap, Mike! What is this "wood" you are speaking of? Sometimes I think you are going over to the dark side... 8^)

(Full disclosure: I am currently making a stand/cabinet for my carbide grinder out of w**d. I am using all the old scraps and hardware I have laying around in my shop, trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Pics when it is done...)

I've watched Roy Underhill a few times and he has access to, or owns, some pretty cool old tools. He has taps and boxes for various sizes. I don't know whether there is a standard (of course, we who make our own tools are not bound) pitch for wooden threads, but I suspect there are. I'm sure there are episodes on youtube. You might pick up some tips from him. In case you don't know who he is, he hosts the "Woodwright's Shop" I believe. It's not in production as far as I know, but I still record the reruns on Saturday evening for later viewing. Although he always seems a little rushed and rough doing his TV demonstrations, I'm quite sure he is capable of very fine work. He's the real deal.....lol, check out his cut and gouged fingers and hands. He nearly always has a black nail. Sometimes bleeds on episodes.
Keep up the good work, Mike. Someone has to make all the tools for woodworkers of the world!
I might add that if you settle on a pitch, your thread box need only to be adjustable to make all the common diameters you make taps for. Just a hint.

Thank You Tony,
I aspire to be like Roy Underhill, as a matter of fact.
His teachings are a part of the reason why i have the fairly recent interest in woodworking.
i watched as a kid, but didn't understand his genius.
not that i can understand his genius now, i can just now better appreciate it.:tranquility:
i have seen the episodes of the Woodwright's Shop you have described and try to gather any other tidbits of information i can pull from the Master, Roy .
thank you for the suggestion!
thank you for the guidance too!:grin:

Nice job on the tap, Mike! What is this "wood" you are speaking of? Sometimes I think you are going over to the dark side... 8^)

(Full disclosure: I am currently making a stand/cabinet for my carbide grinder out of w**d. I am using all the old scraps and hardware I have laying around in my shop, trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Pics when it is done...)

Hi Bob,
to know the light, one must contemplate the dark(side) :tranquility:
:congratulate:

I din't know I needed a special tap for wood, I've been using regular 5/16 18s for some time in mahogany, putting cap screws in them for tooling.

You really don't, Tom. I believe in the older, traditional methods however, coarser threads were the norm for wood. I don't remember seeing them (nor looking specifically for them) in the MH, but that's what I recall seeing. I'm sure there are standards for that.

I believe the coarse threads were used to diminish the chance for tear out in the wood and end up with a cleaner thread.

i'm at it again....:grin:
a chunk of 11/16 hexagonal 12L14 just became a tool!
2016-03-13.jpg
i just finished the 5/8"-11 tpi wood tap to accompany the lonely 3/4"-10 tpi made earlier
i used a 5/8 USS coarse nut to test the fit! :D
2016-03-13.jpg
now for the my other desired sizes......
stay tuned!;)

2016-03-13.jpg

2016-03-13.jpg

2016-03-13.jpg

2016-03-13.jpg

2016-03-13.jpg

2016-03-13.jpg

2016-03-13.jpg

2016-03-13.jpg

2016-03-13.jpg

2016-03-13.jpg

Last edited: