Wood Smoothing Plane

L

Leigh B

Forum Guest
Register Today
I wanted a project to test out my new to me Sheldon Shaper on, so I built this small infill smoothing plane. Did the holey work on my Moore #1 jig borer (love the machine) and turned the round stuff on my 1928 SB 13" lathe. Cut the profile with my bench top CNC mill. Kinda the standard way to build these things is to make the body in three pieces, dovetail and pein the sides onto the base. I decided to cut the base from a solid piece of round stock (never had much sauces peening things together). I also built an threaded adjuster that required that I make a custom 1/4 x 32 tap. I also built a 3/8 acme tap to cut the integral thread on the cap iron. I single pointed the acme 3/8 external screw thread. I built custom tooling to make the rope knurls for the screw. I learned this from George Wilson who posted a how to on a woodworking site I frequent.

IMG_3217.JPG IMG_3280.JPG IMAG0216.jpg IMAG0184.jpg IMAG0110.jpg IMAG0103.jpg

Beautiful plane, Leigh. I'm envious of you guys with all this talent (and time), but I guess in the winter in the Dakotas you might have some extra time on you hands. lol

Pat

Back