Wood screw threads

LOL, a couple of you of caught the mistake of the pilot hole and the clearance hole. The article in Fine Woodworking had it written as pilot hole instead of clearance hole. The writer of the article, editors of Fine Woodworking, and me should had caught that error. Oh well. things happen. and sadly I know better. I'll try to do better next time.
Mark

Thank you, I thought I missed something. Just the opposite, I caught something. :lmao:

"Billy G"

Maybe this will help....the most successful (hobby) wood threading device is the Beal Wood Threading system...it uses a 60 degree V bit in a router with a plastic jig to cut threads in round wood dowels and comes with matching taps...the picture is of two of the taps with a scale so you can see the threads they would make...

The resulting threads seem to be deeper and wider than "standard" machine threads in metal....which would make sense as the strength of the holding power of the thread is the shear thru the root of the thread...

Good luck! and let us know your results....

Does Beal make taps other than 8 series threads? I have a few of theirs, but all are 8 series. My Oliver wood lathe is a real peculiar size- 1-1/8"-8. That is actually what lead me down the road of machining. Try finding any accessories with that thread size...I ended up making my own.

Now see? Who said metal and woodworking don't belong on the same forum? :roflmao:

That is so true. Anyone here remember the Pattern Shops in the old factories that made the patterns that created the pieces that were destined to be machined?
I had the privilege to meet two of the Makers just before the Pattern Shop was closed up and all the patterns discarded.
Those patterns showed magnificent woodworking craftsmanship. And the wood - pheeeeeeew.
So the two 'hobbies' have really been together a very long time...

_Dan

I've been working at metal spinning and watching Terry Tynan's dvds he threads his wooden spin forms to directly go on the lathe spindle. I had never threaded wood before with a standard tap. Well it works, work even better if you wax your tap! Fine grain wood is the key, drill size is the same as metal. I would practice on a scrap pc 1st then go for it! A couple of pic to prove it. wood is maple I believe, from a pc of 50's or 60's furniture under side of a chair? Type of wax? toilet wax ring.

tappinwood01.jpg tappedwood01.jpg

Does Beal make taps other than 8 series threads? I have a few of theirs, but all are 8 series. My Oliver wood lathe is a real peculiar size- 1-1/8"-8. That is actually what lead me down the road of machining. Try finding any accessories with that thread size...I ended up making my own.

Special taps are not difficult to find, I got one for my Oliver patternmaker's lathe from KBC, I think. The catalog has a section for special taps.

Am thinking about making butt plate screws for an old rifle. Do you make wood screws the same way as metal screws? The one I'm looking at is ~ 6 tpi, but there is a lot of root between the teeth. Is there some trick or is it just basic thread cutting?

Thanks,

The same way you do machine threads except:
1) The thread profile is different. You'll need to grind a cutter to get what you want.
2) Wood screws are tapered.

I've made tapered threads on my lathe before. I thread the item between centers with the tail stock offset to generate the required taper. You won't get a gimlet point this way, but I don't think you need one since your stock holes already exist. Or if they don't, you can just predrill to the root diameter say midway up the thread.

John

Back