• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Guest,  We want to wish You and Your Family a Healthy, Happy Thanksgiving! Click the "X" at the top right corner to remove this notice)
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Wood Machinists box at Costco

Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Inflight

Active User
I
And now Costco has these Trinity Wooden Tool Boxes marked way down, $39.97 (at San Marcos, CA store). I thought it was a good deal when I got mine for Christmas, on sale for $75, as I recall.
I just ordered two with free shipping because I'm too lazy to stand in line at Costco. I'll report back on quality when they arrive.

Matt

kingmt01

I've been thinking about building my own. One of these days I'll get down the list to that project but for now things keep jumping above it.

kingmt01

You guys talked me into one. I was going to get 3 but decided I wanted to touch one first. Cost me $42 since I'm not a member. Also sounds pretty small but I need something to put this stuff in instead of cardboard. I have metal & plastic but that make tools rust if they aren't coated.

terrywerm

HM Shop Foreman
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
I was holding off figuring that I would have to get a membership, but I am starting to rethink this now. Might be one of those boxes in my future, too.

jpfabricator

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Aaaarrrgh there are no Costcos close enough to merit a membership.:mad:

Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker

kingmt01

It cost you $2 more without the membership. Being this is the only time I've ever bought anything from them & looking at their other prices I didn't think spending $55 on a membership was worth while. If they wasn't so small I would have bought a few but just one till I see what they are actually like. All of us jumping on this is going to drive the price up. To bad the fourm doesn't get a kick back from it for all the sales it has genarated.

Inflight

Active User
I got two for $39.95 each with free delivery, one day shipping with no membership. The case and drawer boxes are made of MDF and lined with some sort of synthetic green felt. I don't consider these to be anywhere near the quality of solid wood, but for my purpose I'm happy with the purchase.

Matt

terrywerm

HM Shop Foreman
Staff member
I also ordered one. I have a Kennedy but am running out of room. I was planning to make one of my own out of birch plywood, but at $44 with tax and non-member fee I cannot come close to making one for that kind of money. I knew they were made of MDF, but with proper care and usage it should last a long time.

Charles Spencer

Active User

kingmt01

Lol. Does that work with yours? Mine would just remember the $140 part ever time she brought it up. Something like "You just bought a $140 tool box."

george wilson

Global Moderator
Staff member
The boxes you guys are talking about are not like the boxes I got. Mine(I bought 2 sets) are as large as a #92,or is it #72 ?52?(can't remember,never paid the tariff on a real Gerstner :)) Gerstner,has a riser base,and underneath the big roll about cabinets with drawers about 7 " deep. The tool box and the risers are solid red oak,no veneered MDF. They were not real cheap,but,like I said,about 10% the cost of real Gerstners. I may have paid about $400.00 per set of tool box,riser,and roll about cabinet. The Roll about IS veneered MDF on the top and sides. The drawers are solid oak.

Last edited:

Fitter Bill

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
Mine was delivered Monday. I had to get it to the shop fast because the Bride said it would be perfect for her sewing room....

terrywerm

HM Shop Foreman
Staff member
Mine arrived today, and it isn't bad for the price, but don't make plans to put your copy of Machinery's Handbook in the middle drawer; it isn't tall enough. Anyway, yes, it is made of MDF with some sort of veneer on the outside, might be vinyl, but it sure seemed to be wood. It seems to be rather well built, and no, it is not a Gerstner, but I didn't pay Gerstner price for it either!

I thought too that it would be perfect for my wife as a sewing box, but she didn't seem very interested in having one. Her current sewing box is packed to the gills and the legs are wobbly, so I told her she could have this one if she wants it and I'll order another one, but she didn't say anything. She's gone to bed now, so I'll leave it in the living room and see if it gets hijacked or not.

Inflight

Active User
One issue I've found so far is that the drawers don't have stops and easily pull all the way out, potentially spilling all the contents. Although the front cover has a stop which works well. The lid is also missing a mirror commonly found in machinist style boxes.

Matt

terrywerm

HM Shop Foreman
Staff member
I noticed that about the drawers, too, but I can live with that, and can probably come up with some sort of stop system, given a little time... never mind, I've got an idea already.

As for the mirror, If I want to stand there and admire myself, there's a BIG mirror in the bathroom. :D

terrywerm

HM Shop Foreman
Staff member
That question has been raised and discussed many times, but the most common answers are:
1. So the machinist could comb his hair and make himself look presentable before leaving at the end of the day.
2. So the machinist could use it to help remove a metal sliver from one's eye.

There may have been other reasons given, but those are the only two I remember.

Charles Spencer

Active User
Got mine yesterday. It smelled a little funny, but not too bad. I like the fact that the drawers come out. It makes it easier to organize them. I'm also thinking that I can remove the whole drawer and take it to the work with all the tools in it if necessary.

I'd say that if you don't have a wooden tool box already you really can't go wrong for the price. I already had one, but I think this is useful for the added space.

By the way:

"Lol. Does that work with yours? Mine would just remember the $140 part ever time she brought it up. Something like "You just bought a $140 tool box."

Yes it does. My wife knows that I can be one cheap (I prefer "frugal") bastid when I wanna be. I worked in procurement most of my life. My wife says I should write a book about it.

Vegemitesandwich

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
I have an "international" 10 drawer. it's nice wood but the drawers will go in the floor with no stops also no guides have to use 2 hands to open the large drawers. Still quite serviceable and half the price as the "real thing" Face it owning the real deal is a statement, "I have arrived". If you just want to store your stuff a Kennedy will do just fine. Something for the grand-kids to fight over when I am dead along with my saddleback leather bags.

COMachinist

Active User
Just checked price of these 99.99 if you can find one. Not such as great a deal any longer me thinks. I picked up an old Gerstner that needed some TLC with some new parts. Total was around $150 and I spent money on American stuff just saying.
CH

benmychree

John York
One difference in these cheap tool chests is in the fit of the drawers in the case (quite sloppy); my old Gerstner, bought in the 1960s (black walnut) the drawers are a close fit in the case, but never bind; the cheap offshore Gerstner line has sloppy drawers as well. The only problem I ever had was a joint in the front corner of one of the drawers came loose; I glued it back together and all is well. This was the largest Gerstner box made at the time, with the center drawer for the Machinery's Handbook; cost ----$ 76.00 ---- but that was when journeyman wages were $5/hr.

woodchucker

Frankly,I have not been impressed
by the new Gerstner chests. They say made of quarter sawn white oak. But,it is hard to find a drawer that shows the medullar ray structure that truly quartered oak really has, Their "International" chests are made of red oak,I think.
I would think just the outter case is qtr sawn. its much more expensive because of how it's cut.. less yield.

[6]
5 [7]