Wonder What I Can Come Up With For This One ??

=========================================================================

I just came in from cleaning up the main frame, with a wire cone wheel, on my angle grinder. Not much rust involved really. Just the remnants of 3 coats of paint and most of that blew off with an air hose.

The soda can and the 18" ruler , will give you an idea of size. It has a taper on the spindle and I happed to have an old Almond brand chuck, that will fit. It opens up to .390 . Not quite 5/16", but better than a 1/4" chuck.
I have the motor that came with the drill press, It has the same 3 coats of paint on it as the D. press. There was a shaft out the back of the base, that must have had a small cast iron table, that slid in and out, to change the pulley position for each of the 3 speeds. At some point, the shaft was torched off. I surmise, that maybe the motor mounting table got busted, as one mounting ear on the motor is also gone.

Someone had remounted the motor on a homemade wooden box and sat it on the bench, behind the drill press as a quick fix. --- John

Here is photo of the main frame now, for an idea of the size.

DP%20clean_zpsypihppvn.jpg

This is where the motor would have mounted.

d9f5ca1c-137c-4bf6-8345-5e3df17d1d50_zpsursgnczt.jpg 4dbffc00-b7aa-41a2-9cfa-b42756b35f1d_zpsxnpboynj.jpg

This is the motor, It is a 1/4hp Westinghouse. Dating the motor, may give me an idea of the age of the machine. Note the thumb nuts, for the 115v wiring. The tin cover is missing.

DP%20motor_zpsin5dygge.jpg

Thanks for the photo. Man, 26# of weight for a 1/4hp was the way somebody used to make things....let me think a minute....oh yeah, I think it was a place called the United States of America. I heard they used to take pride in their manufacturing output.... or something...
...Doug

That's beautiful! The green paint really sets it off. Very nice!
...Doug in Arizona

=================================================================

Given a chance, I`ll paint almost anything Hunter Green. Anyway, I had to repost some of the before photos, as they were lost during the site update last week. The whole sequence is al out of order now, but I guess it is better than no photos at all.
======
I had to come up with a spindle pulley belt guard, when the cast iron one from another drill press, proved to be way to large. This is what I came up with. It all worked fine, until I learned to late, that a Urethane belt does not act like a regular V-belt. They tend to stretch and pull tight on one side of a pulley and bow out on the other side, when strain is put on them from drill bit pressure. The belt then rubs against the guard. The fix that, I added a spring loaded idler pulley, that is mounted on ball bearings. You can see it in the 2ed photo.

430541ca-4225-4413-8c1a-eac239c89479_zpsuv3zmtbg.jpg DP20guard20rear_zps4kjvyefi.jpg

The adjustable stop for the drill depth is simple and neat. It just clamps on the shaft for the handle.

DP%20stop_zpsvtejgrte.jpg

I needed a cover for the connections on the motor. As section out of the bottom of a 1 gallon tin can did the trick. I silver soldered a back plate to it, that I made from thicker material. Notches in the back plate, slip behind 2 of the bolts on the motor end cover. The brass screw in the center, is just a terminal for the ground wires underneath.

6b7e32f3-8d84-4848-9ce2-d36cc51bc0ec_zpsiha4itpn.jpg

To give the machine a touch od attitude, I used an old Cutler-Hammer motor controller switch.

DP%20switch_zpsuizaksyz.jpg

Overall, it came out pretty nice. --- John

9b741177-8553-4eab-bfd1-66f9cd9180dd_zpskuitixuj.jpg 6eac3b8e-45ad-41c3-b208-e8e34b200980_zps9zaefuxx.jpg

Nicely done, waterloo. I agree about Hunter Green - something about that color just looks terrific on old tools!
...Doug

Back