Women in machining

Paddy's got it right. Anyone who had done much photography on chromes will recognize the creamy skin tones that could only come from Kodachrome. Kodachrome required very special processing. Only Kodak could do it, so the quality was super consistant. As I recall, the ASA of Kodachrome in those days was about 5. So it took a lot of light and long exposures to get it right. Because of the perspective and depth of field controls used, you can be sure it was a view camera.
Digital is really nice. I have a high-end Nikon system, and it does things I could never have done with film. But I still miss the silver based photography.

Hey, Paddy, look what was on the surplus list here in California. (And neither item got any bids. Maybe they'll show up again.)

Generated on: Nov 23, 2011 11:54:06 PM PST

AUCTIONS
About to End
Auction #: Title Seller Name: End Date: Bids: Current price:
640951 Omega Universal 4x5 Enlarger University of California, Santa Barbara Nov 24, 2011 2:00:00 PM PST 0 $59.00
640948 Omega Super Chromega D Dichronic II University of California, Santa Barbara Nov 24, 2011 2:00:00 PM PST 0 $99.00

To unsubscribe from the notification emails please do the following:
1. Login at www.publicsurplus.com.
2. Click on the "My Stuff" tab.
3. Click on the "Profile" section.
4. Go to "Interest List" and remove all categories and regions from your selected list.

I thought Kodak was stopping the KodaChrome line.

Rosie wasn't the only one. There was Wendy the Welder too.

Wendy_Welder_Richmond_Shipyards.jpg

Rosie was based in song, on a woman named Rosalind P. Walter, and there were others as well, Rose Hicker, for one, but supposedly the "real" Rosie was Geraldine Hoyle. She posed for the Norman Rockwell poster.

My Friend Richard ran a machine shop with his dad in Leeds UK, and later in East Yorkshire, his mum had been a welder during the war, making the famous "Bailey" bridges. When he had a tricky job on, he would often pop into the kitchen and say "mum, just come and run me a weld on this job will you". She was GOOD!

I think you are correct about Kodachrome being out of production. Kodak was an amazing company - I worked there for 20 yrs and most of the time it was a joy to go to work.

My mom was a "Rosie" for Bell Aircraft in Niagara Falls, NY during the war while my dad was in the Army.

My Mother worked for Wrights Aeronautical during WWII. She did general lathe work and also worked on a gear cutter.

Great pictures. Some are defiantly staged. Notice in the first set on the horizontal mill the cutter is running but the vise is empty. That does not make the pictures any less cool. These would be great posters to put up in a shop. I teach in a college shop and it would be cool to encourage the female students. Which actually tend to be better and machining than the guys do. Post more if you have them.

Jeff

Back