Wissota Grinder ?

dlane

Active User
Registered
Was given this grinder and don't know if it's worth fixing , The good : it runs smooth, shafts are straight
The bad missing : no tool rests , one side guard , both glass guards, one wheel flange, light, spark plates
Think it's worth messing with ?, I could make tool rests , lexan guards , spark plates ,wheel flange
Would you mess with it ? I already have a couple ok grinders and a couple buffing /wire wheel setups.image.jpgthanks for your opinions
Derrick

If the bearings are good, it looks like a nice heavy grinder. I would fix it up, would make a nice addition to your shop.

I've had a Wissota grinder for 20+ years. Got it used, the bearings had a rough sound when I got it but were tight and ran true, figured I'd change them some day and I probably will, some day that is.
Yours has cast wheel guards, mine are stamped steel. I bolted the grinder to a heavy plate and made tables that bolted to the plate, use it daily for grinding lathe tools.
Would put them on a par with Baldor.
Greg

i like mine a lot.
i do have a pdf manual for it. if you need detail pictures, pm me.
ernst

IMG_0015.jpg

Attachments

• wissota grinder.pdf
    3.6 MB · Views: 34
Thanks for the replys, The wheel guards are cast aluminum of some kind , the motor is 1/3hp spindles are 1/2"
It's really not that heavy . I guess I'll do what I can for it and see what happens.
Can't seem to get above PDF link to work

Last edited:
No it isn't worth fixing up. You need to send it to me for prope disposal. :laughing: Looks like a nice grinder you scored there. And price. Oh bi the way:you suck:

Ernst it looks like the tool rest arms and table are cast also, couldn't seem to pull up the PDF file on this iPad
I'll make tool rest arms from 1/4" 1-1/2 angle, tables from 1/4"plate rotating, guards from lexan
Thanks
Derrick
Edit: the spindles have had vice grips or pipe wrench on them , took light file and stone to them while running. , believe a tweker had it before

Last edited:
I have a 10" Wissota (marked Sioux). It looks like a big brother to yours. It's mostly made of aluminum so it's light weight for a 10". I replaced the bearings when I got it, rather an easy job. It works great and is my go-to grinder for heavy work. (I have 2 smaller Craftsman grinders 7" and 6" working and a Delta badged Baldor 6" in the queue that needs bearings.) Be careful grinders are addictive.

It's going to be another polishing buffer for brass caseings, might get a new scotch bride wheel ,tired of messing with it. I have others with green wheels and a 6x48 10" disk sander for HSS . If anyone needs the 6" wheel guards let me know.
Thanks
Derrick

Back