Wiring windshield motor - please help!

woodworksfla

Registered
Registered
Hello,
I have a windshield motor that I need to power with a PS, but having trouble making it work. I don't know if the motor is bad or most likely I am not doing the right thing...
The motor has 7 leads...
# COLOR
1 DG POWER (HOT IN ACCY OR RUN)
2 BK/PK WIPER MOTOR SWITCH
3 R WIPER MOTOR SWITCH
4 BK GROUND
5 Y/R WIPER MOTOR COMMON
6 DB/O WIPER MOTOR LOW SPEED
7 W WIPER MOTOR HI SPEED
I would like to 1.) know if the motor run by connecting the right leads to the ps ( so I am sure that the motor is working) ... and 2.) how to properly wire the lead motor so I can use some features
thanks

The wiper motor assembly can contain some switching that allows the motor to run until the wipers are "down" even after the operator has turned off the power. I suspect you will have to furnish power to #1 and Gnd to #4, but can't say about the others. If you have the application that this unit originated from, I can likely get the schematic and give you the rest.

Otherwise, you can open it up and get directly to the motor leads and bypass the motion-stop switch. Then you will only need power and Gnd.

I use wiper motors quite a bit. But do not recognize the wire scheme you describe there. Most American made cars/trucks use a constant hot, and control speed with the ground side. So if I were to try that motor you describe I would put power to 1 and ground 7. But I am not sure why you have two more grounds, and two labeled switch. If my idea works, grounding 7 will provide high speed, and 6 low speed. Most I have used will run in reverse if polarity is reversed.

Does your motor look anything like these?
IMG_20130322_145718_233.jpg

IMG_20130322_145718_233.jpg

Last edited:
what brand is the motor? what did it come from? i maybe can help if i have more information. and just cause im curious, what are you trying to run with it?
now that i think about it, some motors also have the pump built in, which would need its own power/ground.

Last edited:
The motor came from a Lincoln Towncar, and I believe it was a 1997 or so. The wiring "diagram" was printed from a mechanic that has that computer program they use to diagnose cars.
The motor looks like the picture sent.
One thing I did was run a multimeter to test continuity for the switches.. however I did not have continuity between the DGreen wire and black.. I don't know if I have a bad motor...
That is what I trying to find out, if I have a bad motor...
Thanks for any help

sorry, about all i could do is give you a diagram, but you already have that. my diagram is different, too, its for a 97 truck. let me do some thinking....i would try 5 as ground, and power to 6 or 7, depending on what speed you want. i know somewhere in the 90's they changed motors,went from 2 plugs to one or vice versa. good luck.

Last edited:
Here's what I have for a 97 towncar. Maybe this will help. I'll have to look it over a bit before i recommend anything. I just got these, so i'll share before i study. That way we can all look together.

Wiring_1.pngWiring_2.png

Wiring_1.png Wiring_2.png

Power to 5, ground to 6 or 7 depending on speed wanted.

If it's constant "hot" and switched ground the extra grounds probably are associated with the intermittent function and turning the wipers on briefly when using the WS washer.

Back