Wiring up my home shop?

The breaker panel was installed about 10 years ago and the city inspected and it was fine. A licensed electrician put it in.
The house has 60 amps with fuses when I bought it in 1990

I am considering going up to 200 amps and using a smaller subpanel so there will be plenty of power in here,

Nelson

You won't regret upgrading to 200 amp service, and if you ever want to add more circuits you already have the available service. Kinda like better to have and not need as opposed to need and not have. Plus if you are going to spend the money for an electrican, it really isn't that much more time to deal with it now as opposed to later!

Good Luck and keep sending the pictures of the progress!

NXr

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the deal-

I wired up the rest of the basement with 12/2 MC (which has a separate ground). Armored cable (Bx or MC) is required in NYC.
Outlets on 2 circuits, lights on a separate one.

So I will try to get the sparky to hook up those circuits, and upgrade the panel.

Nelson

I find it interesting that you have two utility meters inside a locked area. Do you have to arrange to be home when they come to read the meters?

[quote author=Allthumbz link=topic=3651.msg26687#msg26687 date=1316637496]
Question: Since I only have 100 amp service, in order to have a subpanel to handle the lathe, 2 mills and grinder, I need to upgrade my main panel to 200 amp, don't I? Also, what amperage should the subpanel be?
[/quote]

You can feed a 60 amp subpanel from your 100 amp main, no problem. You do not "have to" upgrade the main to 200 amps, but it would generally be recommended-if you do then the sub can be/should be 100 amps.

Adding a subpanel is very much a DIY job if your comfortable working with EL circuits, even changing the main is not that hard.

I would call the poco (power company) and inquire about the 200 amp service upgrade, based on what they tell you you can make a better decision.

Last edited:
[quote author=Hawkeye link=topic=3651.msg26710#msg26710 date=1316654756]
I find it interesting that you have two utility meters inside a locked area. Do you have to arrange to be home when they come to read the meters?

[/quote]

Yes. They send the reader out every month, and hope you are there. They let you read it yourself for 6
months then they want to read it themselves.

Nelson

Back