[How do I?] Wiring Up A Treadmill Motor (i Know, I Know)

I caved and bought a proper enclosure - a BUD CN-5707 from Amazon for $13. Given how much time it takes me to do anything, I figure that's a night or two of shoptime I can spend on something else for not much money.
81sOEsuqO7L._SL1494_.jpg

got the pulley trued up and started on the other one, but I've just had a wisdom tooth extracted so progress will be slow for a couple of days

Ooooww! Dont operate machinery on medication.
Get to feelin better!

Did the pot make it?

Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker

not yet Jake, but it takes an age for anything to get here. no operating anything for me, just lying in bed eating jello :)

got the pot, thanks Jake! also got the case and the dpst switches so I'm just waiting on the reversing switch to start wiring things up. the fan does blow allot of air with the motor run ccw so cooling at looks speeds should be okay - high speeds will be interesting though :)

I am SUPER PUMPED! Totally completely pumped. I can smell the end and it's not burnt wire insulation either! Pictures will come later when I get home, but in the meantime:

1. gave the motor a coat of black paint to spiff it up. Looks rather nice now.
2. fitted the drive into the alu case I bought, heatsinking the whatsits to the case so there's a ton of surface area for cooling
3. wired in one of the DPST switches and it works and glows
4. trued up both pulleys, which will hopefully reduce vibration as much as possible
5. tested the tach and it works a treat, although 3000rpm is a little scary!
6. and best of all, cutting resistor R19/ RPS3 (connected to the wiper post of the pot) does away with the need to zero the pot to start the motor. It now starts at the same speed. How cool is that? Even found the same resistor (I think) on the MC40 board from my old treadmill. Woohoo!

Starting to do the lay out on what goes where in the control box. Haven't figured out how to attach it to the bench yet though..

Looking good Matt! I like what you did with the heatsinks.

thanks! I'll stick some thermal goop/ toothpaste/ armpit fluff at all the junctions when I finally put it together. The original plan was to put the whole sled in there but I didn't realise that the box tapered down to the bottom. Worked out perfectly in the end though :)

Struggling a bit with the 3D layout. I think I'll make a cardboard box model and stuff things into that first, before I go cutting into the housing.

still plugging away. Just have to mount the motor to the bench, adjust the countershaft and splice the motor wires to the ones coming out of the conduit. Fingers crossed tonight :)

IMG_4045.JPG
the FOR/ REV label looks a bit shonky - the paint kept chipping. Still good enough to see what I'm doing.

IMG_4046.JPG IMG_4047.JPG IMG_4049.JPG IMG_4050.JPG

Back