Wiring and amp draw for 3 HP rotary phase converter

Previous owner had what I assumed was 120VAC wiring (black, white, and ground) into it. I didn't think to measure the voltage. Wiring out was three wire (white, red, black, and ground). Whites were both connected to "wire 1", blacks were both connected to "wire 2", and red out was connected by itself to "wire 3" of the phase converter.

I guess I'd better look at the motor nameplate more closely. Is there any place I can read more about how a 3-phase rotary converter works? I've heard they are very inefficient so I assume power in will be greater than the 1/2 HP the motor requires - but how much more? And if I add a mill later can I use the same converter as long as I don't buy a mill with more than a 2.5 HP motor?

And right now it's just a grey box with 3 black wires sticking out of it. I'd love to fully understand what goes on inside the box oher than "it's a motor".

11-20-14
Dear phase converter owner: I have used a phase converter in my shop for the last 18 years. I also built a phase converter ( 5HP) for an aquantence of mine. Running single phase power to a 3 phase motor ( correct HP) & change it to a converter then 3 phase power comes
out of the 3 phase motor. This set up works very well. The start circuit consists of starting capacitors across 2 legs. This arangemest
is controlled by a contactor of which it is controlled by a 0-2 second timer..

The 5 HP converter I built I was able to get all 3 legs within 2 volts of each other. Balancing all three legs results in the lowest amp draw and motor will not heat up very much. Some time later I will send a schematic of how to do this project. Once one understands the function it is quite an easy project. The balance procedure is to get all 3 legs in the closest volt balance. This is done by adding AC Capacitors across the
legs in a particular fashion I realize that this may be hard to understand at this time but in the next week or so I will put a schematic in the "forum" area.

Regards - jbollman:))

I'm still waiting on the VFD, so to ensure that it comes tomorrow I went ahead and wired up the RPC. I ran 240VAC (single phase) to it and everything works great - thanks everyone for the help!

Back