You could use 3 wire mode, but you would need a Forward/Reverse toggle switch. You would have momentary run and stop buttons and a direction toggle switch. Your idea with latching relays is a good one for future use. We had a similar dilemma when we switch from hard button control to VFD control at work. Nothing a few relays could not fix.

Well I finally gave up on the L510. I spent a couple hours on the phone with the Teco tech over a couple of days. He started out really confident "The problem is parameter ###. Check it and tell me what it is set to". So I told him, and he was stumped, and it was downhill from there. We tried a bunch of other stuff and it never got better. So I shipped it back.

I upgraded to a Hitachi WJ200. It was about $100 more, but I didn't want to go through the same pain again with another L510, and heard of a lot of happy people on the forum with one.

The WJ200 worked great out of the box, the motor is smooth all the way up.... even better then it was with the Teco JNEV that I had tested on the motor. I think this will work out well.

The WJ200 worked great out of the box, the motor is smooth all the way up.... even better then it was with the Teco JNEV that I had tested on the motor. I think this will work out well.
Let me know if you have any questions on the WJ200, I may be able to help. The manual is pretty poor, but the flexibility in controls is significantly better than many of the inexpensive VFDs and they seem to be very durable.

My experience is that some VFDs work with 3-wire control and some do not. I have one, bought used on ebay, that is supposed to but it has special firmware and some of the features, including 3-wire control, are disabled. It's always possible to build an interface with a transformer and a relay, but that is a pain.

Back