Wiring A Shed...

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
I wired our entire basement. Now I need to wire the shed in my back yard to run some woodworking machines.

This involves figuring out the needs, diagramming the circuit, trenching, laying waterproof PVC, running the lines, and making the connections . There are a couple videos I found that may make things easier .

I believe it was 10/3 or 8/3 UF we ran out to my shed . Once you have the trench dug, you could lay out the wire on the lawn, then slide each piece of Sched 40 PVC over it one at a time ...then the elbows and turns .
Whatever you think you're gona need , always go one more or one bigger , circuits run out faster than expected .

Trench the ditch install minimum 1 1/2 PVC conduit. I would also install 2 1" PVC in the ditch for spares. Security system connection to the house? You'll want lights to see as you walk between buildings and you can use motion type or install switches and route through the 1". Depending on the distance maybe a pole light in the middle of the yard and you can route the conduit up at the pole. If you go that route then use a 3/4 conduit so it fits a regular WP box. You need 4 wires (2 hot, Neutral, ground) pulled in the large conduit. Distance and amps will determine sizes. I would recommend steel conduit where you leave the ground so you can't damage it with lawn mower. A vacuum cleaner can suck a string through the finished conduit. Pull a rope and connect to the wire and you're good to go. Metal elbows at the ends will keep the rope from burning through the PVC elbow. I wouldn't assemble as you go because glue could damage the wire or stick it to the conduit. If you can't pull it in you can't pull it out later to fix a problem.

Glue only on the male part and you are good but do consider as suggested above by assembling with wires in.

Look at main panel and if using full size breakers then buy compact doubles so no additional space.

Look at distance and consider budget but larger wire not that much more cost so whatever you were thinking go up a size or 2 as distance may require that.

Wire for 10 running hp so you can have lights tools and air at same time.

Do run extra conduits and place them ABOVE power in trench.

Meaning place power conduit in trench and cover with some dirt then place other conduits above them.

Place one closer to top so down the road if and when you are digging for something in the yard you will find it well before you hit the important one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

You'd have to be a real lunk with alot glue to mess it up...lol . The shop vac trick works well too...and if you tie a small bit of plastic shopping bag (wal mart bag) to the end of the string, the shop vac pulls it thru very well. Then u can pull a stronger piece of parachute cord back thru the other way . And as others have said, definitely run an extra empty conduit with a pre pulled parachute cord , the price of the sched 40 is minimal and then you have it should you need it . There are water based "soap like" lubricants that make pulling the wire much easier . Whether you install the panel surface mounted or flush in the wall , run a few extra conduits up thru the wall , and with parachute cords in them ...then when u find u need another circuit it's one less thing you've gotta fish .
You can Duck seal the ends to keep water and condensation out . Might also consider pulling a length of Cat5 thru while it's open and easy ...you never know what a simple shed can turn into down the line .
Good luck with your project and have a great New Year !

Back