wiring 1/2hp single phase from 220 to 110

I have no free breakers in my box to run a 220 line. The lathe is not 10ft from the box.

I ran into the same thing. I ran a small sub panel. I am mindful of how much I'm pulling and don't try to run everything at once. I think I could, but no sense pushing it. I have never found anything to be warm or tripped breakers or anything, so I'm very happy with the set up. If you are lacking just space, not more service amps, it might be an option for you also. Hopefully somebody can clarify what I'm driving at.

I've added quite a few sub panels to permit more circuits also. I believe I'd stay with the reversing starter you have in the panel but I'd look for a Westinghouse/Wesco distributor to get 120VAC coils for it & [3] overload heaters for 8.8A & also make sure that the contacts for that starter will handle 1.25% more than that or 11A. A good thing about reversing starters is that they have both electrical & mechanical interlocking to prevent forward & reverse contactor armatures from picking up at the same time. Since you'll be using 120VAC the neutral wiring to motor leads T2 & T4 won't need to be switched so connect these leads to L3 on the top of the starter [the white wire]. Connect motor leads T1 & T3 to starter terminal T1; motor lead T5 to starter terminal T2 & T8 to starter terminal T3. This will reversing the phasing of the motor start winding current in relation to the run winding current & minimize extra winding. And if the motor runs backwards in relation to "forward" & "reverse", simply switch motor leads T5 & T8.

I would go the drum switch route, simpler to hook up and easier to use.

Me too.

QUOTE=Eddyde;268068]I would go the drum switch route, simpler to hook up and easier to use.[/QUOTE]

Back