[How do I?] wire forward-reverse switch

Yes that's the 115 volt arrangement. 230 volt only takes 3 motor wires: For the 3 wire case, one end of the start leg can be tied
to the midpoint of the series connected run windings, the other end goes to pin 3 of the drum switch. You're "flipping" one end of the start leg from one power to the other
to reverse direction.
Mark

I would be interested in your 3 wire for 230 vac comment, all 6 of the 230 vac, single phase motors, I have in the shop, need the full 4 wires. I tried it this afternoon, after I read the post, on 2 different motors, neither motor would run at all.

Hopefully this sketch will help:220motdrum1xzz.jpeg
The drum switch closes both A, B for forward or reverse. Pin 4 on the drum switch = no connect
Mark S.
ps I cleaned it up a little

Last edited:
The start leg doesn't care which run winding it's in parallel with; it's the polarity (that little dot) of the start leg with respect to whichever run winding it's hanging across that sets the direction
M

so t5 is the start winding and by switching which which leg of the 220 it his switches direction

Thanks for the explanation. I guess if it's works that way, then do it. To me it seems more complicated than the way the manufacturer says to wire it. I've done it, with 4 wires to the motor off the drum switch, for 40+ yrs, to me its familiar and makes sense. But again, it interesting to see it done another way.

I'd be interested to see if your way breaks both the power leads when the switch is in the center off position? May be a compromise there. Also, remember the start leg and the start winding are not the same thing exactly- the leg includes the start winding, the start cap, and the centrifugal switch all in series.
For 115v, four wires are definitely required, both ends of the start leg HAVE to be swapped. But for 230v you have a choice of 3 or 4 wire hookups, I personally think the 3 wire one is simpler. I actually borrowed (stole? lol) the hookup from some other member's posts- somebody else had the idea long before me.
Mark S.

IIRC with some of the drum switches out there you have to use the 3 wire hookup, not enough contacts
M

What is the significance of breaking both power legs mark?

Mark,

Yes, I break both power legs. Trust me when I say, I'm not saying your wrong, its just not the way I was shown, on how to wire a single phase motor. We were taught to wire a single phase motor drum switch the same for 115 or 230 vac, exactly the same, the difference is in how the motor leads are connected. If the 3 wire method works for you thats all that matters. I've never had a direction switch for single phase, that didn't have the 6 contacts, I'm learning new stuff, everyday.

Buffalo,
Can you give me an example of the way your talking about with my motor ?

Back