[How do I?] wire forward-reverse switch

50 bucks is kinda steep but it will last for years especially on 230v
M
ps the switch I was calling "chopstick" is actually meant for 3-phase. It can be used for single phase but it's not optimal.

Last edited:
yep those are them. not sure what the wire contacts look like inside tho.. I know one the second one it mentions having 12 contacts but that just blows me away?
Here's a photo of the innards of a "hockey stick" type switch, with the handle in one of the run positions. Note the stud-and-nut wire terminals. The terminals of a "chopsticks" type switch should be pretty similar.
kHPIM3179.jpg

Good picture, very clear. This is what it looks like electrically:
M

Attachments

• Furnas Electric Style R1 Drum Switch black on white.pdf
    84.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
for the switch in the picture

handle
1. 2
3. 4
5. 6

with the red handle on the top, the terminals down the left hand side are 1, 3 and 5, on the right hand side are 2, 4 and 6.

the inlet power goes to #2 and #6, power to the motor goes to #1 and #5, the two wire listed on the motor, to switch direction, one of them goes to #3 and the other goes to #4, ground wires are hooked to the green screw on the bottom plate

Yes that's the 115 volt arrangement. 230 volt only takes 3 motor wires: For the 3 wire case, one end of the start leg can be tied
to the midpoint of the series connected run windings, the other end goes to pin 3 of the drum switch. You're "flipping" one end of the start leg from one power to the other
to reverse direction.
Mark

so for the above schematic.. on my motor for 220 volt
terminal 1 T2 and T3 and P1
terminal 2 Line 1
terminal 3 T5
terminal 4 T8
terminal 5 T4
terminal 6 line 2

and leave P2 just wire capped in the houseing?

IMAG0048.jpg

Last edited:
No:
P1 to Drum 1
P2 capped
T2 T3 T8 connected and capped
T5 disconnect from T4 and connect to Drum 3
T4 to Drum 5
230 volt to Drum 2 and 6
Drum 4 no connect
If rotation backwards swap wires on Drum 1 and Drum 5

Mark S.

Reactions: Z2V
Calixt0: Can you post a better picture of your motor wiring label? The one above is a bit hard to see and I want to double check what I told you.
Mark

mark that makes no sense to me.. as I understand it that would be switching 5 and 4 not 5 and 8.. heres a new picture hope it works better

IMAG0051.jpg

Last edited:
You actually would be switching T5 only. I'll post a sketch for your enlightenment, give me an hour or two.
Mark
ps thanks for the pic-mucho better

Back