[How do I?] wire forward-reverse switch

Here is a link to the motor wiring schematic. If the link doesn't work just do a search for lesson motor 110087.
The schematic shows how to wire it for cc or ccw rotation on both 120 and 240.

http://www.leeson.com/CnxDocRequest/PublishedPDF/grf_swd-0130015736_00500303_402810276_355.pdf

I'm sure with a few more searches you can find how to wire the switch. I know on a 120 motor you have to bring two pairs of motor wires out of the motor to the reversing switch and the reversing switch just swaps the wires in a x fashion to rotate in the other direction.

Basically all you are doing is reversing the start winding so it kicks the motor in the opposite direction.

Last edited:
Guys,

It looks like I'll be out of commission probably until next week for two reasons:

1. It's wheat harvest season. I live in a farming community, and I'll be helping a friend combine wheat and bale straw.
2. My local friend who is familiar with FOR/REV switches can't get here until next Saturday.

Please don't think I'm ignoring anyone's helpful advice; just prioritizing out of necessity.

Regards,
Terry

The motor diagram you provided is all you need. You may want to try connecting the conductors without a switch as a means of understanding what is going on.
Assuming you want to connect 240 V - use the "High Voltage" template on the right.

For CCW rotation:
Connect one leg of the 240 V (L1) line to P1 as shown
Short together motor leads T2, T8, T3 and do not connect to anything.
Short together motor leads T4, T5 and connect to the other end of your 240 V (L2)

For CW rotation: (Follow footnote on bottom of plate instructing you to interchange T5 & T8)
Connect one leg of the 240 V (L1) line to P1 as shown (no change from CCW operation)
Short together motor leads T2, T5, and T3 and do not connect to anything
Short together motor leads T4, T8 and connect to the other end of your 240 V (L2)

All the switch does is make the above connections for you. Once you are comfortable the above works, then you should be able to figure out the switch connections. Good luck

after reading all of this I'm so confused.. I understand how to do it without the switch perfectly but adding the switch has me baffled? a drawing of what wires go where would be tremendously helpful for me

Calixt0: Are you needing some help with a wiring issue? Can you post pics of your motor and switch?
Mark S.

Calixt0: Are you needing some help with a wiring issue? Can you post pics of your motor and switch?
Mark S.

I don't have a the switch yet as I don't want to waste money! but here is a pic of my motor.

IMAG0048.jpg

OK good place to start- do you want to run it on 115 or 230 volts? 230 is recommended, switch will last longer. Motor too.
Mark S.

I can run either.. but for easy i was planning on 115 but 230 is readily available as well!

You don't really HAVE to use a (overpriced) drum switch. You could use two common toggle switches, one for on/off, one for forward/reverse. You could go either way.
You got any switches layin' around?- your cost could be zero :big grin: if you're concerned about your budget that is
Mark

Back