Winchester 94

Good morning all,
A 358win will not work in a model 94. It is a necked up 308win and way to high pressure cartridge for this action.
You need a Savage 99 or a Browning BLR if you want it in a lever gun. The 356win is the rimmed version, same
psi or very close. The 35rem is in the same psi class as the 30-30 but was for the Marlin. The 35 cal necked up
30-30 is a wildcat. The 356/358win will blow up a standard top eject 94. The 356win rimmed might have been
chambered in the later XTR big bore 94 but I an not positive about that. That action has more metal in the locking
bar area for larger case heads/more bolt thrust. You don't want to chamber a barrel to a action intended for 30%
less pressure. SAMMI max pressure for the 30-30 is 42,000psi, 356/358win is 52,000cup or around 62,000psi.
A complete different cartridge class. The 357mag/max can run higher because of the smaller case head area, less
thrust per psi. The 44mag runs at 36,000psi. The 357mag 35,000psi. 357max 40,000psi but was never chambered
in the 94 from the factory to what I remember.

Be safe with your choice,
Take care,
Rick
I was over talking to my gunsmith about this same subject. Here in lower Mi we have a new rule allowing straight wall pistol cartridges for deer. With non collectable lever guns turning up cheap we were talking about necking up the 30-30 case to .357 size bullets. I will have to ask if he's made any progress.

ebgb68,
I am looking for a doner 94 to a 30-30/35. With full length brass you have a great cast bullet shooter. But if you want to
shoot heavy bullets the overall length tends to get a bit long. ED Harres did this conversion on a pitted out 94 over on
the castbulletassc website with reamer prints and case dimentions. He used a slightly shorter case to come to a perfect
overall length. He had a guy rebore and rifle his bad barrel. I would post a link but don't know how. It is very easy to find.
What is realy fun is you can shoot .357 pistol bullets at very high velocity. Or load them down and it's like shooting a
man size Red Ryder. I have a Browning BLR in 358win. I shoot Hornaday 158gr XTP pistol bullets at 3000fps for a
coyote truck gun with open sights. Coyote pelts from New Mexico aren't worth much and we have a serious problem
with them. They shoot very flat so you hold dead on to 200yds. You hit them anywhere and drops them like a prairie dog
with a 22-250. Then load 225-250gr for elk. Same with a 35cal 94 just 1/4 less power on the top end but a little more
than the 35rem. You are only opening the barrel .050 so it should work with a factory carbine barrel.
Overall length does not change so no action work, feeds slick.

Take care,
Rick

I will have to look around on there for that post Thank you for the info. Here's the rules we're working with
Shotgun, Handgun, Black-powder Firearms Only Area The Department has received requests from deer hunters to allow for the use of .35 caliber or larger rifles capable of using certain traditional pistol cartridges to take deer in the Shotgun, Handgun, Black-powder Firearms Only Area herein referred to as the “Shotgun Zone.” These straight-walled cartridges have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches and a maximum case length of 1.80 inches. The longer barrel of the rifle with these cartridges should increase accuracy as compared to a short-barreled pistol.
If you need some .358 brass let me know I have a new bag of winchester and may have some once fired. I bought a 700 remington chambered in .358 and converted it to .450 bushmaster for deer.

ebgb68,
Yup that is the one. I seem to remember more info on it. About 2yrs ago something happened to there forum, they
seem to have lost a bunch of posts. There was more about Ed's rifle in other posts that now I cant find.
I will try to send you a PM.
Rick

Well I have decided to go with the 30-30. The part that pushed me over the top was the cost of the 44 mag barrel. I did not want to invest that much into it. I have a used 30-30 barrel on the way. Thanks for the advice guys

Back