Wilton C2 Vise Slop

leeko

Registered
Registered
Hi all,

I recently cleaned up, repainted and re-greased a 70s wilton c2 combo vise, and now that everything's back together, I've noticed there's a fair bit of slop in the moveable jaw.

I machined a .030 spacer to fit behind the screw cover plate, which took up the axial slop on the screw. There's now minimal movement in the handle before the jaw moves in either direction - it feels nice and tight.

The issue I've noticed is that, when the mobile jaw isn't clamping anything, it's a fairly sloppy fit in the fixed casting. I can lift or rotate the jaw about 1/16" to 1/8".

I don't think this makes any difference to the function of the vise, but it's bugging me nonetheless... every time i start turning the handle, i see the jaw rack a little...

Is there anything that can be done for this? Or is it likely just wear between the mobile jaw tube and the casting? I looked at the keyway and key, and they both look ok to the naked eye....

Thanks in advance,

Lee

20161008_213406.jpg

20161008_213441.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I would guess that the play is likely coming from the key and/or the keyway. Nothing else is adjustable for backlash unless you count the spacer you made that takes up most of the axial slop. The acme nut on the back is locked down by two pins so it can't be used for any adjustment and there really isn't anything else in there.

Nice looking vise

Thanks! I was pretty pleased with how it turned out - just this one little issue to solve :)

Mikey: i agree - i think I'm going to have to look closer at the fit of the key. I understood that it's generally best not to remove the key from the mobile jaw tube, as it's important for alignment. But, i guess that doesn't really matter at this point....

Thanks again,

Lee

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

If it's just extra clearance on the round, maybe find the right thickness of brass shim and add strips 1/4 inch wide at 3 or 4 locations(lengthwise). Clean it up good and solder them in place. Or maybe just two and leave the bottom to have full bearing in the housing. Or maybe I'm all wet and there is no extra clearance there....I don't have one like it (jealous) Nice vise and paint job!!

Mikey: i agree - i think I'm going to have to look closer at the fit of the key. I understood that it's generally best not to remove the key from the mobile jaw tube, as it's important for alignment. But, i guess that doesn't really matter at this point....

I'm sort of wondering is the key is loose in the seat. I would pull it myself and clean the key and seat and try to reseat it again. Might help, you never know.

Back