Willard Lathe

Bill Rosselot

Registered
Registered
I looked at this lathe last weekend and I can pick it up for less than $500 with all of the tooling which is several boxes. My question is that the thread plates and transmission plates are worn pretty good and you cannot see all of the speed selections not sure if I want to take the time to pull it apart and take it out of the guys basement. Also cannot find a ID plate anywhere on it but I think it is a 13" x 30ish not sure on the length. What are your guys thoughts. It turns good I think it may need some adjustment in the clutches but not sure, also needs a good cleaning.
IMG_20170326_133344468.JPG IMG_20170326_133330457.JPG

Well Bill, Your asking the wrong bunch if your expecting anything other than" of course you should get it ". Looks like a very solid piece of iron, between the machine and tooling I would say easily worth 3-4 times that, even if just parted out. Mike

Can you chuck up a large bar or piece of pipe and pull on it, see if you can get an idea about the spindle bearings. Also run the carriage up and down and snug the lock, see where it binds. Gotta be some wear somewhere, just gotta see if it's livable with. Looks like a very capable and heavy machine. Check for broken gear teeth too. Looks like the spindle through hole might be kinda small, if that's important to you.
Mark S.
ps wasn't Willard a movie about rats?

If you do buy it, I would take all those rare and breakable handles and levers off before moving it, especially those nice brass ones on the headstock.
Mark S.

ps wasn't Willard a movie about rats?

With your avatar you should talk? :)

Yes, as a matter of fact there were two. Willard, and later Ben.

Posted sincerely tongue in cheek.. -Al

Re: The lathe: if you can transport it and set it up - yes. No question. A big lathe can make little things - the opposite is not usually the case.

I say "live long and pros-purr" to all current and future rat-lathe purchasers.
MS

Alas, I have grown unfond of old big iron lathes. I would say be very careful of this one. Just the price itself indicates this lathe may have serious problems. You have described enuf wear to indicate everything inside the machine is seriously worn out. Remember lathe parts all work together. So one worn part means all the others have equivelent wear.

If you really want to move forward, you could check a couple of more things: Does the headstock growl like the last days of an old rear end in a '75 chevy? Can you see daylight between the ways and a carpenters straitedge?? Is the bottom of the tailstock grooved badly? If so, plan on replacing or rebuilding, grinding, and scraping the Headstock gears, tailstock base, apron surfaces, v ways, half nuts, apron nut that drives the lead screw, cross feed screw and retaining nut, compound screw, gibs... arrraggh, the list goes on. And remember these parts are mostly unobtainium. And those that are available cost mucho Lathebucks- each. (A lathe buck is a hundred dollar bill)

Another way to check the lathe is to run it.

Take some round stock over to the guys house and have him take some serious roughing cuts and a couple of finish cuts. Then measure whether it will hold to a thou for whatever you dialed in. Given the wear you already know about, my guess is it wont hold even .005 close to your desired depth of cut. And Probably no two cuts will consistently be the same.

Be hesitant, friend. Good used lathes are out there!!
Glenn

Last edited:
Maybe our OP is a one or two thou is OK kinda guy Glenn. I will say it looks better and more complete than a lot of old Sebastian-Barnes-Star type behemoths I've seen advertised.
Mark S.
ps I think the wear he was describing had to do with the power transmission stuff rather than the sliding surfaces- but looking at the front way it doesn't exactly look "lemon-y fresh" I admit.

Last edited:
Alas, I have grown unfond of old big iron lathes. I would say be very careful of this one. Just the price itself indicates this lathe may have serious problems. You have described enuf wear to indicate everything inside the machine is seriously worn out. Remember lathe parts all work together. So one worn part means all the others have equivelent wear.

If you really want to move forward, you could check a couple of more things: Does the headstock growl like the last days of an old rear end in a '75 chevy? Can you see daylight between the ways and a carpenters straitedge?? Is the bottom of the tailstock grooved badly? If so, plan on replacing or rebuilding, grinding, and scraping the Headstock gears, tailstock base, apron surfaces, v ways, half nuts, apron nut that drives the lead screw, cross feed screw and retaining nut, compound screw, gibs... arrraggh, the list goes on. And remember these parts are mostly unobtainium. And those that are available cost mucho Lathebucks- each. (A lathe buck is a hundred dollar bill)

Another way to check the lathe is to run it.

Take some round stock over to the guys house and have him take some serious roughing cuts and a couple of finish cuts. Then measure whether it will hold to a thou for whatever you dialed in. Given the wear you already know about, my guess is it wont hold even .005 close to your desired depth of cut. And Probably no two cuts will consistently be the same.

Be hesitant, friend. Good used lathes are out there!!
Glenn
Glenn
I ran the lathe the paperwork says the lathe was bought brand new in 1945 and was put in this guys grandfathers shop but was not used until 1949 when he got back from the war. It was used as a hobby lathe for approx 10 years until about 1964. The grandfather passed away in 1965 and the lathe has not been ran until just last weekend when I turned it on. The oil cups and the site glass still have oil in them and it runs very smooth the ways have no ware on them only one spot where he dropped the chuck has a nick in it. I ran the carriage and compound back and forth, no movement in the head bearings at all. I even put my dial indicator on it and can get it to move. the only think wrong with it was that the guy when he got home in 1950's he tried to polish the brass plates that show the speed selections and now you can't read them very well. so it will take some getting figuring out all of the speeds.

Here's a link to another site in regards to a Willard lathe.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...tory/willard-machine-tool-information-221691/

It appears that Willard Lathe Co. somewhat disappeared after 1921. I highly doubt that lathe was bought new in 1945. Sounds to me, he got lucky and bought one in very good shape in 1945. Finding machinery for sale in 1945 was very slim to none because of the war effort then. I found a advertisement on the Vintage Machinery website showing your basic lathe that came out in 1921. Regardless, the lathe you are looking at appears to be in good shape for it's age. For $500 it would be worth it to buy. But to drag it out of a basement, well, do you want it that bad?
Ken

5831-A.jpg

Back