will this qctp fit a 10f?

great white

Active User
Registered
Details are slim other than what is on the busy bee site.

All I can find is a YouTube video on the 12" set:

It seems to have "250-1xx" on all the holders. I think this makes it a bxa sized holder but I'm not sure. Pretty new to all this.

The 12" one looks is axa and will fit your lathe. Do they have a wedge type? I thought at one point they did I could not find it.

The 12" one looks is axa and will fit your lathe. Do they have a wedge type? I thought at one point they did I could not find it.
Sorry, don't understand the diff between piston and wedge....

there are 2 different type posts of this kind- A wedge type and a piston type
a wedge type as it's name implies moves a set of wedges to lock the moveable tool holder in the desired position.
by contrast, a piston type uses a square piston that protrudes from the post to secure the moveable tool holder in the desired position.
both are operated by a handle that provides the means to lock the moveable tool holder

The first link is AXA size. AXA accepts up to 1/2" shanks & is how you can tell from the listing. The second link accepts up to 3/8" shanks, I'm assuming this is what they call OXA size (not sure I've never seen one in person before).

The AXA size should be a a good fit for your lathe but still you should double check anyway. Check the distance from the top of your coumpound slide (where to tool post woukd sit) to spindle center. You will need a min of 15/16" for AXA. Get the wedge type if you can.

BTW, for the import holders, 250-1xx are the AXA, 250-2xx are BXA.

I'm doing this on an Atlas 10F as well and am part way thru the process.

I have a Phase II from Enco but I'm sure you can find a CA source as well.

You want the AXA size for a 10F Lathe. The Phase II is an Aloris Clone and is well recommended (why I got it) It is a Wedge Type.
You can google the difference between QTCP Wedge and QTCP Piston and you'll get a quick understanding of them.
This link for Phase II shows both Versions:
http://www.phase2plus.com/details.asp?pr=QUICK_CHANGE_TOOL_SETS&id=52

This On-Line Seller seems to have Canada Covered for shipping:
http://www.industrydepot.com/phaseIItoolposts.htm

The Cliff Note version is:
A Piston Type pushes a Piston Out from the Side of the QTCP to PUSH against the Tool Holder an fix it in place.
Some People say this creates a BOW in the tool holder overtime and creates some deflection by the force required to fix the Tool Holder in position.

The Wedge has a Sliding Section that Jams the against Dovetail Slot effectively making the dovetail slot wider and holding using force in a different direction on the Tool Holder.

From what I've gathered in my research the actual Tool Holders are interchangeable between either model. It's the Post Itself that is different.

Look up (Google R.G. Sparber QTCP) Look in the Metal Working then Lathe areas of his web site. and you will come up with a very well written PDF file of installing a QCTP on an Atlas 12" Lathe.
There is very little difference between the 10F and the later 12" from the perspective of installing a QCTP.

I plan to make a replacement bolt for mine that will use 1/2 x 20 threads top and bottom with a center diameter of 14 mm because the straight 14 mm bolt seems to be just too tight for clearance in the "T"-Nut for the 10F Compound. This issue is clear to see in the PDF on Rick Sparber's site.
I have a post started on this. I'm waiting for some metal supplies to arrive so I can get started.

I'll add a bit of trivia. Although Aloris may be the originator of the wedge type, I think that the first piston types may have been made by Yuasa. The Chinese either bought or stole the design from them and cheapened it a little. The Phase II (probably top of the line for Chinese made) has a square piston head. Some (all??) of the other Chinese made ones have a circular head. The Yuasa design had a rectangular head, roughly twice the height of the Phase II. And the center of the rectangle was relieved so that there is no chance of the tool holder block rocking on the piston.

Part numbers commonly seen on Chinese made holders, including earlier Phase II's, are 250-NNN. This is a Yuasa part number. I note that Phase II has incremented their part numbers to 251-. No explanation given as to what the change was.

I put a bxa on my 12" craftsman, works but too big, should have sent it back and got the axa.

Back