Will sandblasting cast-aluminum cause corrosion later?

Harvey

Active User
Registered
I've got a couple of very large cast aluminum pieces that need a thorough surface cleaning and roughing up for painting. Normally, I would use my glass bead blaster but these pieces are much too large for my cabinet. (They're about 24 x 24 x 24 inches each.) There's an industrial sand blaster nearby that normally does my steel jobs but I'm wondering if the high-powered sand will impregnate the cast aluminum and cause corrosion problems down the road?

Thanks,

Harvey

No, not in itself, but if the media has been used before on ferrous materials, it likely is contaminated and there is a risk of embedding foreign material in the relatively soft aluminum. If new media is used there should not be a problem. As I'm sure you know, aluminum starts to oxidize virtually instantly, so try to keep the interval short between blasting and priming, and it goes without saying that a proper primer should be used.

Thanks for your reply, Tony. I contacted a local (industrial) "metal prep" shop after I posted my question here yesterday and they reminded me that "soda" blasting is an economical, effective, and safe way to do cast-aluminum nowadays.

Harvey

Back