Will Pick Up Pm 1340 Gt Monday 07/20/15

oldhank60

Registered
Registered
1340gt has arrived, got notice and have set 7/20 for date to go pick it up, been a long wait, as luck is with me I just happen to be on 2 week vacation so I am off work and will have time to get it set up.

Lathe is at shop, I transfer it from truck to trailer so I can get into shop, should be up and running a few weeks, what is best for cleaning lathe? I have not open crate are there leveling pads included or do I need to order a set?

Last edited:
congrats. Pics or didn't happen. :D

I like citrus degreaser (DEP brand?). Buy it by the gallon and decant it to a pump bottle. Smells good, cuts the cosmoline, doesn't leave an oily mess. Some people like WD-40, but the citrus stuff works better at cleaning (just not so well at lubricating, but why settle for a solution that only does a half way decent job lubricating and a half-way decent job of cleaning?).

After cleaning, wipe down all the non-painted surface with way oil (Mobile Vactra 2 or something similar) to keep them from rusting. Yes, if you used WD40 you could skip this step, but I don't trust WD40 to keep the rust gremlins away.

And remember WD 40 is a Water Dis-placer, not a lubricant.
Careful, the WD40 apologists will descend upon you like a flock of locusts any moment now for maligning their wonderful do-everything product.

Although, to be accurate, it actually is a lubricant. Just not a very good one. WD40 has 40 purposes (not really), a jack of all trades and a master of none. It Cleans! It lubricates! It removes chewing gum! It walks the dog!

I prefer a lubricant that isn't designed to evaporate and leave a sticky mess behind. I oil my ways with Vactra 2, and a week later, there is still a nice coat of oil that wipes off easily with a towel.

Careful, the WD40 apologists will descend upon you like a flock of locusts any moment now for maligning their wonderful do-everything product.

Although, to be accurate, it actually is a lubricant. Just not a very good one. WD40 has 40 purposes (not really), a jack of all trades and a master of none. It Cleans! It lubricates! It removes chewing gum! It walks the dog!

I prefer a lubricant that isn't designed to evaporate and leave a sticky mess behind. I oil my ways with Vactra 2, and a week later, there is still a nice coat of oil that wipes off easily with a towel.

It was not 40 uses, but the 40th attempt at the formulation that they were trying to create for the Aerospace industry for a product to displace water in the electrical systems on planes. I believe that there are over 2,000 documented uses for WD40!

as I said, (Not Really).

2000 documented uses doesn't really mean much. When you look at the list, a majority of those uses are "lubricates XXX" or "cleans XXX off of YYY".

Yes, it is 25% oil, and 60% solvent. It lubricates and dissolves stuff.

To OP: post some pictures and get your thread back on the track!

Last edited:
as I said, (Not Really).

2000 documented uses doesn't really mean much. When you look at the list, a majority of those uses are "lubricates XXX" or "cleans XXX off of YYY".

Yes, it is 25% oil, and 60% solvent. It lubricates and dissolves stuff.

To OP: post some pictures and get your thread back on the track!

I am sorry if I offended you. I happen to know because my sister lives in Seattle and my nephew told me the story.

Back