Wiggler project

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
View media item 95716View media item 95715Today I made a wiggler having watched Tubalcain's video on You Tube. There is a multitude
of operations to make this little device but well worth the effort. I didn't have all the measurements
so had to use my head a bit to get it right. After it was all made and functional, I took it apart and
gave it a case hardening treatment. Here are two photos showing the complete unit and an exploded
view if you want to make one yourself. My thanks to Mr. Pete as he was my inspiration for this project.

I love my wiggler (admittedly a brought one not one I made myself). Such a simple device but works so well for aligning the mill.

Just watched his video on that, now after seeing your work its on the too do list.

There are several tips that could be added to this set up. The indicator one interests me so may make one of those
for set up with a boring head to align for some sort of boring operation. I will have to do a little research to see what
other applications might be useful. I finally got to see Mr.Pete's video on the ball bearing
and the pointer. He softened a ball bearing and drilled and inserted the 1/8 inch pin. I machined mine
out of one piece and turned a ball at the end but the result is the same. Also, I tried silver
soldering an 1/8 inch carbide shaft( old broken end mill) on to a ball bearing. That took several
tries to get it to run true but turned out to work fine as an edge finder. The silver solder
joining is amazingly strong and I don't expect it will break with normal usage.

Last edited:
Back