Wiggle or Wobble?

Chip Monkey

Registered
Registered
Between a wiggler and cylindrical edge/center finder, what's your preference and which is more versatile for you?

I apologize for my sophomoric question, but I've never used a wiggler and wondering if there's any reason to get one.

Thanks Dudes (and Dudettes?)!

I’ve used my wiggler a few times but not more, in a few years. It seemed like the appropriate tool at the time; I can’t remember whether it was for a very small feature or maybe a punch mark.

A wiggler is great if you are trying to center on a point (like from a punch) and you don't know, or don't care about, the exact dimensions from any edge.

I just bought a wiggler. I bought it because I have trouble seeing the edge finder move sometimes. I keep wondering if it's because the leds are flickering at a high rate.
Anyway I just received my wiggler a few days ago. I've played with it, but have not gotten serious with it yet. It definitely lets you know when it's off an edge. It's a little tough to get it to center, and dangerous. I can see that it might make a mark on some projects.
I'm going to give it a good go, and see. I don't expect to have a very valid opinion for a few weeks of use.
I disagree with the statement "and you don't know, or don't care about, the exact dimensions from any edge" I believe it is just as accurate, more so in fact since I can easily tell when it kicks. My balls on the LUFKIN are .250, so I am .125 from the edge when it kicks. I also have a very small disc, it's .100, so I would be .050 from the edge when it kicks.

In response to mylilmule, is there anything that makes a wiggler point easier to center on a punch mark that the conical point of a cylindrical finder?

I have no idea if this is correct or not, but I spin the wiggler get it running true, then shut off the mill. I then bring the point down close to the work, and eyeball center. I can usually drop the point into the punch mark, and see which way it's off and fine adjust if it's critical. You can proof your work by raising up, and turning on the machine, you will see how much wiggle there is.

My preference is the cylindrical edge finder. I can repeatably find an edge to .0001". I have a wiggler as well but rarely use it.

I have two cylindrical finders, by Brown & Sharp, of different shapes and a set of wigglers. I prefer the edge finders. The V&S finders kick out better than the import one I started with. I use the wiggler for punch marks.

Wobblers , haven't used my wigglers for 30 years maybe . The CNCs have incremental steps on the controllers and the edge finders were easier to use . As far as picking up a scribed line or center punch , it doesn't matter . Either are fine as accuracy (to a degree) is usually not needed .

Back