Wife's Pen

Chewy

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Thought I would post this. It is a survival knife my wife made for me. She made one for my son, but didn't like the way it fit together. I made the bushings so she could turn it on centers rather than bushings on a mandrel. The commercial bushings come from that great big tool supplier in the East. Lets just say that tolerances and quality are not their biggest selling point. The bushings shown are 12L14. I'm making some other sets out of O1 and will harden them for a trial. With all the pen kits on the market from different suppliers, I will be busy for a while since it takes 1 to 1-1/2 hours to make a set. For me it is good practice turning to .001 or less tolerance quickly. And with the number of sets needed, I can play around withe different setups, tool locations and approaches.

IMG_0337.jpg

Some time in the future I will post about my shop before and after "The Craftman's Wood Lathe Area", it will be fun to read. Thanks Charles

Im interested in seeing more about this "Wifes Pen Survival Knife" that I assume is what is in the picture? More pics of how it works would be great!

Top left is a fire starter that screw into bottom left side. Top right is a glass breaker point for escaping cars. The clip on the top right serves as the metal for the fire starter to strike and serves as half a-- srew driver. And the bottom part also serves as a ball point pen.

IMG_0338.jpg

Back