Wicks & Felt

I've bought everything I needed for several machines from McMaster-Carr. They have just about any size or shape you might need.

Craft stores have some I have never used it though. I would try and see if its real felt or synthetic I don't know if it would make a difference but maybe

Be careful what you use as there are various grades of felt and wicking material. The density of the material should match the viscosity of the oil you're using. McMaster provides good explanation's of use for the materials they sell.

If you have oil cups with standpipes in them, pipe cleaners work very well as wicks; I double them over and insert the folded end down the standpipe, just short of the shaft or spindle that they are feeding; the remaining length gets folded down into the storage well; I usually twist the free ends together a couple of turns to hold them together.

I have tuned pianos and have always kept felt of various sizes on hand and used some on my lathe. It is of very high quality. If you know a piano tuner, you may be able to buy some felt from him. The art-craft store felt is not that good of quality. Otherwise I'd buy from McMaster.
Mark

Back