Why Would I Need A Quick Change Lathe Gear Box?

Heh, heh, heh,
I found an older man who is willing to sell me his QCGB off his Logan 200. I told him I was broke, and asked if he would hold it until the end of the month, and he said he would. Tool hoarding is real

Last edited:
I don't remember ever seeing a 200 with qcgb..

I don't remember ever seeing a 200 with qcgb..
Dear lord,
The Logan 200 lathes were originally sold without the QCGB's, the QCGB from other specific models (from 10"-12" lathes) could be installed on the Logan 200.
Here is a screenshot of tubalcain with his Logan 200 and obvious add-on box.
So, the old guy (not tubalcain) had an ad up offering a Logan 200 with QCGB, and I sent him an email asking if he were willing to sell the box separate from the lathe. To be honest, I wasn't expecting him to say yes. He is also willing to mail it out to me. Sometimes, you really can't go wrong with asking :)

Screenshot_2019-03-10-17-33-39.png

Last edited:
QCGB? Yes or no? I really like having a QCGB, for all the reasons others have already mentioned. Of course it is a great convenience for threading. I used to have a regular job come in needing 3tpi - my selection only went as coarse as 4 tpi - so I got a change gear and away I went. I desire to get the few change gears to finish out the metric thread pitches that are not available with the 127T conversion on my Imperial machine. In other words, even with a QCGB, swapping gears may be needed from time to time.

There may be more to the story. Martin Cleeve wrote an excellent book "Screwcutting in the Lathe" - he knows much more about threading than I, and most of the individuals here, ever will. It seems his goto lathe for threading, a heavily modified Myford - did not have a QCGB.

Me? I'll keep my QCGB.

Kool..you may have to modify your lead screw..drill and tap your bed..looks like a fun project..

Back