Why so expensive?

duckman

Registered
Registered
Desmocrat I'm jealous of what you ride I had a 903 SSSP , but getting back to your problem it may sound hokie but I made a new nut for a left hand screw and used a new allen wrench cut off and sharpened to fit, use an allen wrench that has a really tight 90° bend, only reason that I did this is because I didn't have a boring bar small enough and the wrench works like a charm, and the nut material was Ampco 18 which is some NASTY stuff because it has 18% iron in it you can pick up the chips with a magnet. The screw and nut came out of a trailer tongue electric jack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look no further than supply and demand for the high price; there's very little call for the LH taps generally speaking.

Depending on the material you're planning on using for the nut, making one from O-1 on your lathe, relieving it, and hardning it is a good way to go. You should easily be able to make a couple nuts from your home made tap.

I made a tap from the leftover piece of Acme LH threaded rod. Since it was cutting a new brass nut, I just copied the store tap to make it work. Remember though that you will not have the root clearance that the real tap will have. I got around this by splitting a short piece and spread it apart to cut that last .010". In brass this works fairly well. Next time I will buy the tap. Less work!

You can use a 3/8" Grade 8 bolt and shape the head of the bolt into a boring bar.

Back