Why not a Taig workshop?

Looking good. What are you doing for threading the large threads for the collet holder?

I use a bolt in tailstock, with correct threads. A hole is drilled and tapped in the work piece to match that. Threading is then done by turning the spindle by hand.
A bit tedious but this method is used by many lathe owners, some smaller than Taig, e.g. Unimats. Great for those cases where you don't have a lead screw/gear cutting gear set.

One of the photos shows the set up from above.

Gerrit

that is a really neat way to thread on a lathe without a lead screw, thanks! I never would have thought of that, but it really opens up the possibilities. As long as you have a tap and bolt with the right thread pitch and you can tap a hole in the work, you can thread pretty much anything. I'll have to give that a go now :)

I use a bolt in tailstock, with correct threads. A hole is drilled and tapped in the work piece to match that. Threading is then done by turning the spindle by hand.
A bit tedious but this method is used by many lathe owners, some smaller than Taig, e.g. Unimats. Great for those cases where you don't have a lead screw/gear cutting gear set.

One of the photos shows the set up from above.

Gerrit

That didn't sink in the first time I looked. I most often use a die holder in the tailstock and crank by hand as well even though I have change gears. I am often surprised at how much I use the crank. Makes it really easy to go up a shoulder. I have seen the Taig tricked out with leadscrew and change gears and also a kind of interesting setup that goes outboard on the spindle. As long as it works.

Are you guys talking about something like my picture below. There is more play than I want in the 1/2-40 threads I cut for the guide threads, so I was going to add a large rod on a set of bushings so it will stay true. I plan on attaching either my faceplate, chuck, or drill chuck to it.

u2uha6ug.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back