Why no small high-quality lathes?

If you live in the Bay Area, you should consider Wabeco. There is a very reputable dealer in Gilroy:
http://www.mdaprecision.com/

I was in the same situation as you (though I see many more nice looking used machines on Craigslist now than I did when I was shopping), and bought a new Wabeco D3000E from MDA about 6 years ago. It wasn't cheap (over $3k) but the thing that pushed me over the edge was that I could drive to Gilroy, look at my new machine, and take it home (or not). No shipping and no uncertainty about what condition a freighted tool will arrive in. There is also A Wabeco board on Yahoo hosted by MDA. MDA is great, but I should also say that just sold my D3000E (for about half what I paid for it) after finding a nice Maximat V10P in Oakland.

Interesting. The D6000E looks like a nice machine. A bit pricy, but nice. I downloaded the user manual and noticed that it has very limited thread cutting. Surprising for a lathe that otherwise looks so nice. Still probably worth a trip to Gilroy to talk with them about it.

Thanks for the tip. Keith

Keith
Are you happy with your jet? Could whatever reason it needs to be replaced be overcome with repair/refurbishment at reasonable cost?
How old/worn is it?

Cheers Phil

I was hoping for a higher quality machine.

Mine is not in great shape. I got it used for next to nothing. Most everything (gears, bearings, etc.) is worn or been damaged by rust. I put it back into operating condition and made a few modifications to beef it up. That made it usable, but not great. It would take a lot of work to bring it back to like-new condition and after that it would still be a marginal machine. If I were really happy with it I would buy a new one of the same thing and work on it from there to boost its quality, precision, and features. I'd rather just skip all that and buy one. If I could find such a thing.

Thanks, Keith

I have a Jet 9X20. I have made many improvements to it. It will run along side of any lathe in its class including the ones you are looking for. Go here and make up your own mind. If it were me I would think twice before I got rid of the Jet.

http://bedair.org/9x20camlock/9x20project.html

"Billy G" :thinking:

I have a Jet 9X20. I have made many improvements to it. It will run along side of any lathe in its class including the ones you are looking for. Go here and make up your own mind. If it were me I would think twice before I got rid of the Jet.

http://bedair.org/9x20camlock/9x20project.html

"Billy G" :thinking:

Well, it's hard to disagree because I'm not sure what you mean by "in its class." If you mean low-end Asian 9x20 lathes, then you're probably right. But if the "class" is broader than that, I would disagree.

The Jet is the one of the best brands of this type lathe, but the basic design leaves a lot to be desired and the manufacturing is far from high quality. The spindle bearings are pretty cheesy, the bed casting is not strong, the gears are rough, the cross feed is not smooth and has a lot of backlash, etc. Yes this can all be fixed, but by that time it is no longer a Jet 9x20, it is some custom lathe. I have made some of the mods on Steve's site, but to bring the Jet 9x20 up to top notch would take a lot of work. I mean a lot. The base design is just not very robust.

I'm looking for a small lathe (up to 11x26) that is a step up from the Jet 9x20's "class" in size, weight, strength, quality, precision, and feature set.

Thanks, Keith

Well, it's hard to disagree because I'm not sure what you mean by "in its class." If you mean low-end Asian 9x20 lathes, then you're probably right. But if the "class" is broader than that, I would disagree.

The Jet is the one of the best brands of this type lathe, but the basic design leaves a lot to be desired and the manufacturing is far from high quality. The spindle bearings are pretty cheesy, the bed casting is not strong, the gears are rough, the cross feed is not smooth and has a lot of backlash, etc. Yes this can all be fixed, but by that time it is no longer a Jet 9x20, it is some custom lathe. I have made some of the mods on Steve's site, but to bring the Jet 9x20 up to top notch would take a lot of work. I mean a lot. The base design is just not very robust.

I'm looking for a small lathe (up to 11x26) that is a step up from the Jet 9x20's "class" in size, weight, strength, quality, precision, and feature set.

Thanks, Keith

You might at least take a look at the Grizzly 11 x 26 (http://www.grizzly.com/products/11-x-26-Bench-Lathe-w-Gearbox/G9972Z)

or the similar model from Wholesale Tool (http://www.wttool.com/index/page/pr...with+Stand+(WT)&update_continue_shopping=true)

M

The WT lathe has power crossfeed. I mis spoke earlier. Don't know why. The WT is identical to my first decent klathe,a Jet 1024,except my Jet was made in Taiwan,and the WT is very likelky made in China. There may well be quality issues. I hate buying Chinese stuff.

I can't tell if the Grizzly has power crossfeed,either,or if that lever just engages long. feed. Then,there seems to be a lot of gear replacing to cut different threads. Both questions bear calling these companies and asking questions. There's a better chance of getting a tech at Grizzly who knows what he's talking about than getting one at WT. I've been to both places (to the WT in Charlotte and Grizzly in Pa.) Just a bunch of country boys at Charlotte. Better organization at Grizzly for certain.

My first mill drill was a WT,and it was o.k.,but was made in Taiwan. This was in the 70's. I just don't trust what they are selling now as they don't have the same marketing clout as Grizzly,or the tech support,and likely not the spare parts,either.

If you order 20 machines,the Taiwanese would put your name on them back in the 70's. It doesn't take a large commitment to have the WT name on a machine,(or Grizzly). But,I know Grizzly is well organized. I went there and bought 2 16" lathes in 1986. They were very nice and helpful,and very responsive when
I THOUGHT I was having a problem with the new lathe I took home. Turned out,I just needed to slightly isolate the gear head lathe from the concrete floor with little oak wedges. Discovered this by accident while leveling the lathe. As soon as the base of the lathe was a teeny bit off the concrete,it quieted right down,and quit the bad harmonic chattering. Now,my lathe is on adjustable rubber pads. Mason brand. It makes the lathe taller,too.

I hate these lathes that you have to change gear arrangement 3 or 4 times to cut all of the possible threads the lathe can do. The 10x24" Jet above,on Craigs' list isn't like that. Mine was wonderful. Very rigid and powerful.

I made a cast bronze steady rest of larger capacity for my Jet in 1982,when we were building a repro 18th.C. fire engine in Colonial Williamsburg. I was the pattern maker for 30 castings. At night I took the castings home,threaded them where needed and otherwise machined them. I had to have a larger steady rest to thread the hose couplings,which had "ears" sticking out either side for tightening with a spanner. Now,I don't have a lathe that fits it.

P.S.: The 12x36" WT lathe illustrated above CLEARLY has a gap bed. I can see it in the enlarged picture. No mention of it. ALSO,they list "spindle travel,18 1/2"." WHAT is that???? The spindle DOESN'T travel. It looks like a nice,useful lathe,though 99% sure it is Chinese. It is a belt driven lathe,which does leave much smoother surfaces than any low priced gear head. A little more trouble to change speeds,but I really liked my belt driven 10x24" Jet. It made really nice,smooth finishes that looked nearly nickel plated on free cutting steels. My Hardinge HLVH will,too. It is belt driven,but mechanically variable speeds.

Have you looked at LatheMaster? He has a small 9X30.

Yes. Looks about the same quality/capability as my Jet 9x20.

I would prefer a larger diameter and shorter bed to fit my space. An 11x24 probably fits my space better than a 9x30 and probably fits my turning needs better too. It is length that is my biggest constraint.

I tried to find a manual for the 9x30 Lathemaster. There was one on his site but it is the worst manual I have ever seen. Doesn't even give the footprint size, so I'm really just guessing it wouldn't fit as well.

Thanks, Keith

Yes, I've looked at the Griz 11x26. It might be what I have to settle for, but I was looking for a higher quality lathe in about that size. Something with a CamLock chuck, VFD, etc.

Major problem with it is that it doesn't have a reverse feed for left-hand threads or threading away from the chuck. That's almost a show stopper, although I guess I could jury-rig something like people do with the 9x20s.

Thanks, Keith

I don't think the WT lathe above has power cross feed at all. No lever for it on the apron. I wonder if you have to use the leadscrew for all longitudinal power feed.

I can't tell if the Grizzly has power crossfeed,either,or if that lever just engages long. feed. Then,there seems to be a lot of gear replacing to cut different threads. Both questions bear calling these companies and asking questions. There's a better chance of getting a tech at Grizzly who knows what he's talking about than getting one at WT. I've been to both places (to the WT in Charlotte and Grizzly in Pa.) Just a bunch of country boys at Charlotte. Better organization at Grizzly for certain.

My first mill drill was a WT,and it was o.k.,but was made in Taiwan. This was in the 70's. I just don't trust what they are selling now as they don't have the same marketing clout as Grizzly,or the tech support,and likely not the spare parts,either.

If you order 25 machines,the Taiwanese would put your name on them back in the 70's. It doesn't take a large commitment to have the WT name on a machine,(or Grizzly). But,I know Grizzly is well organized. I went there and bought 2 16" lathes in 1986. They were very nice and helpful,and very responsive when
I THOUGHT I was having a problem with the new lathe I took home. Turned out,I just needed to slightly isolate the gear head lathe from the concrete floor with little oak wedges. Discovered this by accident while leveling the lathe. As soon as the base of the lathe was a teeny bit off the concrete,it quieted right down,and quit the bad harmonic chattering. Now,my lathe is on adjustable rubber pads. Mason brand. It makes the lathe taller,too.

I hate these lathes that you have to change gear arrangement 3 or 4 times to cut all of the possible threads the lathe can do. The 10x24" Jet above,on Craigs' list isn't like that. Mine was wonderful. Very rigid and powerful.

I made a cast bronze steady rest of larger capacity for my Jet in 1982,when we were building a repro 18th.C. fire engine in Colonial Williamsburg. I was the pattern maker for 30 castings. At night I took the castings home,threaded them where needed and otherwise machined them. I had to have a larger steady rest to thread the hose couplings,which had "ears" sticking out either side for tightening with a spanner. Now,I don't have a lathe that fits it.

P.S.: The 12x36" WT lathe illustrated above CLEARLY has a gap bed. I can see it in the enlarged picture. No mention of it. ALSO,they list "spindle travel,18 1/2"." WHAT is that???? The spindle DOESN'T travel. It looks like a nice,useful lathe,though 99% sure it is Chinese. It is a belt driven lathe,which does leave much smoother surfaces than any low priced gear head. A little more trouble to change speeds,but I really liked my belt driven 10x24" Jet. It made really nice,smooth finishes that looked nearly nickel plated on free cutting steels. My Hardinge HLVH will,too. It is belt driven,but mechanically variable speeds.

None of the small Grizzly's have power cross feed.

And I agree completely. One of the things I hate most about these small Chinese lathes is the gear changing. That is a real pain. It also increases the footprint of the lathe because you have to be able to open the gear-cover door. That either adds a foot to the length or requires the machine be on casters so it can easily be pulled out for access. But that is a problem with a 600-1,000 lb lathe that would better be solidly mounted.

What is a Jet 10x24? I didn't know they made one. A simple search doesn't turn it up. Can you give me a pointer?

Thanks, Keith

Back